Join for free
Page 321 of 370 « First < 221 271 311 319 320 321 322 323 331 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Well, made it to the gym yesterday for the first time this month! If it hasn't been one thing it's always been another. Still, last month was good which is cheering me up, even if this month will be a poor one. The total lifted for August was 798,115 kilos and it put me at No. 1 on the Amount Lifted top twenty. Calories burnt was 12,112 which put me at No. 4 position, and I've never been that high on that particular top twenty before.

I shall do my best this month but we're more than halfway into it already. Grrrrr.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 04:47 AM

Oh heavens, Tachyon, that's such a shame about your mother. I know you are terribly concerned and you are a very good man to sweep your holiday aside to ensure that she was ok. One of the reasons I have been so absent of late is that my mother fell in the night, injuring her elbow and face. I felt terrible about it because she was alone. Her rambling house she has too many flights and hazards, so it prompted me to get on with it and buy her a house closer to my sister (she doesn't want to leave Kansas). We will have her in the house - furnished and decorated by mid October. As you can imagine, there has been and will be much to be done!

I was out surfing yesterday and thought about OGF's quick change photo, and thought that it was a maneuver that only only surfers could do. Not me though with having to attend to both the north and the south . Anyway I am so pleased to hear that your foot is doing well. It must have been great fun running into your friend. It's a fine sport to have in common.

Now as for you, Floydy. You be careful in that gym. You sure don't want to make things worse! I know how frustrating it is to have to work around the sets you are craving, but you'll be back soon enough! How are you managing at work? What's new with the shift change and/or job hunt?

The heat has finally broken in the sunshine state, so I raced out first thing for a breezy and happy little run along the river and to the strand. Most of the population and even the wildlife seemed to be out picnicking. It was pure fun.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 08:40 AM

I'm not at work, Suzie and haven't been for three weeks now. There is a thread about my hernia problem without me banging on about it everywhere. I did mention to that because of my illness the job situation is on hold atm. I don't a distraction like that right now.
I won't be back at the gym for months.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 02:51 PM

Floydy, I am so sorry to have fallen behind on your situation. I'm off to look for the thread....

Well, Floydy, this is just no good at all. You must be terribly frustrated with both your discomfort and you situation. I have known so many men who have had to take a time out for health reasons or job reasons. The one piece of advice I have, is to consider that most men I know have had to take breaks from work sooner or later. Most of them have said, after the fact, that they wish they had enjoyed their time off more. This too shall pass, Floydy.

I saw your list of things to you wanted to accomplish and think it is good one. I might also add that things you could do include, fine-tunning the details of your USA trip, plan the nuts and bolts of your retirement, work on that next job, spend more time with your family and friends, read some good books, pick up a guitar, create some musical playlists for every situation, and start a diet and health plan for when you are better. Since you might not be into heavy weight lifting, now is the time to talk to some trainers and physical therapists about what is next. Cycling? Swimming? Paddle boarding? What lies next could actually be a pretty darned fun change of pace.

That hernia is such a central part of your life, and driving you nuts, that you should give it a name . Seriously though, take it easy and keep us posted.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, I am so sorry to have fallen behind on your situation. I'm off to look for the thread....
Suzie, I'm sorry if I came across rather grumpy yesterday. It wasn't intended, I was just feeling very fed up and I guess I caught your fine post at the wrong time.
I feel like a child who is grounded at the moment.
Nobody sees every single thread on here and I don't expect you to either. For what it's worth, it's only more moaning anyway

I'm pleased to see that you at least have some kind of normality returning to your life at the moment. I really do feel that I need to start running when I get over all of this.

The hernia operation, my work situation and my financial plight - all should be dealt with by the end of the year if it all goes to plan! Getting into running again will certainly give me some fresh air and a new lease of life...it won';t happen for a few more months yet though, but I'm hopeful
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

22-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Hey, Floydy. I just amended my post. Go look.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 03:21 PM

@Surfermom: Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. She has been in the wars again this weekend, in the early hours of Sunday morning, and is in hospital with a tentative diagnosis of gallstones or an inflamed gallbladder. She may need an op, but they aren't certain as yet. I've been hampered with my hospital visits by a tummy bug, as my body had decided nothing annoying had happened for a while and it didn't want me to get too complacent!

@Floydy: Oh dear, months away from the gym - I really appreciate how bad that looks to you, but better safe than sorry. When you DO restart you will get back to where you were though and quicker than me, I'll bet!

To add to my general excitements my PC just wouldn't boot up at all on Friday morning and after doing all kinds of tricks to salvage files it was no use. I had to reformat and reinstall everything, but fortunately all my important stuff is on my second hard drive. I seem to be up and running now though. Touch wood. It's murder not being able to use the PC and use the forums properly.

If this tummy bug settles down I hope to go to the gym as usual tomorrow and then visit my mother afterwards. I've been really enjoying arm work with the cable/pulley system, which has helped my creakiness after the absence caused by the "holiday". If I get too stiff after my usual routines I go and do lots of reps for the bicep and triceps on a 10kg weight, alternating left and right arms and just keep on going. It gives me a breather and doesn't make it look like I am idling, lol.

It's great for people-watching too and it amazes me how many times some people look at their phones for a minute or two before getting back to work. The gym is my haven AWAY from my phone!!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

24-09-2019, 05:12 AM

Tachyon, glad your mother is in safe hands. I hope there is a speedy diagnosis that can be resolved without surgery, but both are routine so it should go well. I am sorry to hear your stomach is misbehaving; you seem to be forging ahead nonetheless.

Your comment about the phone was timely as I was out for a late run this afternoon. The sun was setting behind a stand of pines that was portending scarlet sunset and inspiring goodnight songs and squawks from herons, starlings, and two osprey in towering nets. Just as a large barn owl, swept stealthily by, a slight rustling called my attention. Just on the other side of a chain link fence surrounding a football field was a young box turtle that was frustratingly trapped behind a chain link fence. Had I not rescued the little guy, he would never have made it to the nearby pond, and would have surely been the victim of the commercial lawnmowers tomorrow morning.

Returning to my running, a man in his 40s approached in the opposite direction, but I could actually hear him before I could see him, as he was blasting music at full volume from his phone. I couldn't help feel sorry for him for missing out on the sounds of the wildlife that I had been lucky enough to capture. It's kind of like going to the gym and someone has the news blaring. There are just some times in one's life to turn it all off and shut it all out.

Five peaceful miles and one happy turtle.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-09-2019, 09:22 AM

Thanks Suzie.

I’ll give my hernia a name. I’ll call it “Mr. Hassle the hernia”.
I’m not retiring by the way, I never mentioned I was but I think you may be confused because what I am doing is talking some of my pension pot. In the UK we can dip into at age 55. That’s all that was.
No, I’ll be working until at least 60 full-time, which I’m fine with and then I would like to work part-time for a few years. We’ll see what happens in the future.

I’m also staying at my current place of work. They have tried to find me a job on days but the company really is geared towards shift work unless it’s office work, which I do not want to do all the time. I will continue to look at the company’s internal vacancies website for a more suitable post.
With the hernia situation all that is on hold though right now, I’ll wait until next year and begin my search again.

I’m getting used to being off work finally by the way. I can’t walk very far without the hernia kicking out (or “kicking its way out” as is the best terminology!) so it’s mostly indoor pastimes I’m doing, as mentioned in the thread “Indoor Hobbies” recently. I have started a jigsaw, I’m thinking of another big music thread on here, reading a lot and watching DVDs. Anything which involves any kind of aggravation to “Mr. Hassle” cannot be done. No swimming, cycling, treadmill, no gym. Nothing until after the operation, so I’m basically spending my time taking things easy and getting plenty of (welcome) relaxation time. It’s just a matter of waiting for the op now.
The worst thing is not being able to keep myself fit. As somebody who has always been active this has really knocked me for six and I'm not used to not doing anything physical!

It's nice to see you continuing to enjoy your jaunts outside in that wonderful area you are able to exercise in. No, I wouldn’t be blasting music out even on headphones if I was jogging in those surroundings! Headphones are for the treadmill to drown out the horrendous pap they call hip hop and the abomination they call Rihanna. You have the best idea by far in simply taking in the beauty of your surroundings.

Tachyon – My best wished to your mother. I do hope she is coping with her possible gallstones issue as best she can. Hopefully she will be diagnosed soon and get that all-important hospital operation without having to wait too long.

Well done on your continued efforts at the gym. Those cables seem to have hit the spot with you, though I never got along with them too well myself. Doing alternate bicep and tricep work on cables or dumbbell will see huge improvements. They were always one of my best areas and I always work hard at them. My own preferred method was doing 6 reps on each arm, no rest between the swap-over for three sets, again with no rets between sets. Use a light weight – 10kg is fine, whatever your build – even the biggest bodybuilders use light weights for this. They just do more sets. I was doing up to eight sets without rest at my peak, training with 20kg weights gaining the development to match. Couldn’t do that now though!
Keep it going bud and hopefully the tummy will have settled down for you too.

Quick mention to Bob – Where for art thou bud? I’ve told you before, your posts are excellent reading, however mundane they may seem to you. Like Surfermom, you always have some incidental tales to tell about your adventures in the wilderness.

And to you other members who exercise regularly…where are you all. Is it really that cliquey in here? Get posting! I’m not training at all but I’ll still pop in and see others exercising and talking about their feats and facts, goals and targets.

Talk soon, cheerio for now!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Quick mention to Bob – Where for art thou bud? I’ve told you before, your posts are excellent reading, however mundane they may seem to you. Like Surfermom, you always have some incidental tales to tell about your adventures in the wilderness.

Talk soon, cheerio for now!
Good to see you mingling around the forum Floydy, hope your problem isn't too painful, and hope you can get it sorted soon....And thanks for the mention....
As you can see I'm never far away from this thread and it's great to see Surfermom back posting again.... She's such an inspiration to me especially.....

This morning's post by her was one more exceptional observational post in a long line of equally exceptional posts....

Rain is beating against the window as I write this and aren't I glad that I went out early this morning for my Tuesday Five miler....As soon as I left the house this morning and felt the warm moist clingy air brush against my face and legs I knew it was building for a special weather event. Very atmospheric and perfect for running, but it wasn't long before my legs were heavy and struggling with lungs gasping for air.

The pace seemed fast, but it wasn't and I've experienced runs like this before, but they are occurring more often, so this morning I was satisfied just to arrive home without having to walk, but I know in my heart that it's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens...
Strange thing is, that every now and then I pull something out of the bag that surprises me, and this will keep me turning out for as long as possible....

I was right about the special weather event, the torrential rain has been thundering down for the last thirty minutes and has overcome all the usual water drainage routes and turned the street into a river, and the garden into a lake...(well pond at least) And it has become so cold I've resorted to trousers and sweater and it's going to be a hot soup day for lunch....

Page 321 of 370 « First < 221 271 311 319 320 321 322 323 331 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top