Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Re: Olive oil

Originally Posted by d00d ->
This is the stuff we get, from a local deli ...

https://azeiteportucale.vineves.pt/l...tima-portugal/
That looks nice. Lovely colours to them.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
With little finger I put a small amount of olive oil above and below eyes to stop itchy/dry eyes.

Thanks for that solo! I have a dry eye condition that my doctor prescribes artificial tears for, but they need to be used a few times a day. I am now going to try using them just at night and will try the olive oil in the morning to see if it helps through the day.

Apparently you don't blink as much when using a computer, so this adds to the problem.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I love pasta coated in olive oil and parmesan , I could eat that daily

I always use it on pasta, drain, stir in a glut, stops it getting sticky

but I don't fry with it
I like to put a couple of tablespoons in a small pan add a couple of cloves of smashed garlic, maybe smashed rosemary too, warm it gently, remove from heat, sometimes leaving it for a couple of hours, warm it again, discard the garlic and mix with freshly cooked pasta shells ...
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks for that solo! I have a dry eye condition that my doctor prescribes artificial tears for, but they need to be used a few times a day. I am now going to try using them just at night and will try the olive oil in the morning to see if it helps through the day.

Apparently you don't blink as much when using a computer, so this adds to the problem.
Mine was very bad due to med allergies and I had seen consultants and tried everything most of which made things worse so I saw this and tried it. Within an hour or so it worked and has continued to do so.

Although it's always tempting to use a bit more use exactly as the video shows and I also use the same olive oil as I had some in the cabinet.

Hope it works the same for you Twink as it was a horrid thing to put up with
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:38 PM

I use the light Olive oil for roasting as it doesn't burn and smoke before the veg is done
I use extra virgin in salad dressings, on pasta and in dips and the like
Balsamic vinegar is another thing I'll always have in
I pour a bit in to the oil I'm using on roasted Mediterranean veg. Yum
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I use the light Olive oil for roasting as it doesn't burn and smoke before the veg is done
I use extra virgin in salad dressings, on pasta and in dips and the like
Balsamic vinegar is another thing I'll always have in
I pour a bit in to the oil I'm using on roasted Mediterranean veg. Yum
That's interesting. I know what you mean about the smoke when roasting virgin oil. Maybe I need to try a light one for that.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:45 PM

I prefer groundnut oil for roasting and stir frying as it has a very high burn temperature

Another use for olive oil is as a face cleanser. Mixed with castor oil, its marvellous for really cleansing the face, esp if you have oily skin with is prone to spots and pimples
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I like to put a couple of tablespoons in a small pan add a couple of cloves of smashed garlic, maybe smashed rosemary too, warm it gently, remove from heat, sometimes leaving it for a couple of hours, warm it again, discard the garlic and mix with freshly cooked pasta shells ...
Ill try that one next time Im cooking just for me

Another one I like for pasta is breadcrumbs toasted in chilli oil - YUMMY
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 08:24 PM

Use it all the time. Frying, salad dressing etc. We go through loads of it!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Just for info

Smoke points of the different oils

For high heat cooking/frying you really need to be selecting an oil with smoke point of 240 deg C or higher, otherwise you risk creating carcinogenic substances with the oil.

I generally use Rice Bran oil for all such cooking. I use coconut oil for baking muffins and the like.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top