Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Smartphone

I'm all set to buy a budget smartphone but can't decide which. I liked the sound of Haewi & Honor but they are in a dispute with the US government and may have their license revoked.

I've read all the reviews on the internet but am no wiser really.

I have no special requirements - the most important thing to me is walking directions & sat nav so I never get lost again.

My budget is around £200.

I would very much appreciate any help & comments.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 05:18 PM

Re: Smartphone

I inherited a Nokia from my husband he didn't like it but I think it's great. Cost just under £100 so not too bad imo this is my second Nokia first one wasn't a smart phone it just made calls and did texts a 3300 or something but that was pretty reliable too.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 06:19 PM

I do like my Samsung.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I'm all set to buy a budget smartphone but can't decide which. I liked the sound of Haewi & Honor but they are in a dispute with the US government and may have their license revoked.

I have no special requirements - the most important thing to me is walking directions & sat nav so I never get lost again.

Your only problem Carol is too much choice!
Something like allpaper?

Regards Donkeyman!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I do like my Samsung.
I've always been happy with Samusng phones. They're easy to use and their apps are excellent. Good camera quality too.
I'll be replacing mine soon. Like you Carol, I spend under £200 for a decent all-rounder and buy it outright with only the monthly interent charge extra which costs me about £7.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Like others here, I have a Samsung which does all I ask reliably.

Whatever you choose, may I suggest to fulfil your walking and sat nav requirements you install Google Maps and OS Maps.

Both are free!

We often use Google Maps for sat nav, and it includes the facility for providing a route for driving to a known destination. If your phone has GPS, which most have, you can find your present location on the map.

OS Maps provides excellent detail for walking. If you download the area you are interested in using WiFi or cellular detail, you then need no further downloads whilst you are using it. It also has several layers of projection from large area (as in printed OS maps) right down to street level.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 11:22 PM

Huawei is the world's second largest phone supplier and if you choose to buy one now, it will have Google's Android system installed on it. Because of pressure from the US, (toys being thrown out of pram springs to mind) Google may be forced not to update it's Android system on existing Huawei phones but they will still be usable in the short term. Access to Play Store may also be restricted later on unless the issue with the Trump administration is resolved.

Huawei are now looking into creating it's own phone operating system in competition with Google and Apple but that will be a few years off.

If you're concerned about losing Android operating system one of the cheaper Samsung phones may suit you better.

Some here for you to check out. The A10 seems to have good reviews but as always, check other review sites.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=samsung...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 01:47 AM

I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 which, for reasons discussed elsewhere, packed it in (it is feeling better now). As a replacement I bought a Huawei Nova 3e (sometimes called a Huawei P20 Lite)

It cost about a third that of the Samsung and has just about all of its features including as much memory and RAM, the only thing missing was NFT which I didn't use. Under some circumstances it actually seems better than the much more expensive Samsung (eg FM Radio reception). I would definitely recommend Huawei as giving you plenty of bang for your buck.

To tell you how much I like the Huawei - when my Samsung came good I didn't start using it again, it is now my 'spare' phone.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:15 AM

I've been using Huawei phones for years. Honour is a Huawei I have the Honour 9lite at the moment and can't fault it. I did buy the Honour Ten when it first came out but found it to be a really heavy phone compared with the ones I'd had before, so I sold it and went for the 9lite.They are easy to set up and easy to use, they also have a terrific camera on them.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 03:15 AM

I'm very happy with the Samsung S8. The battery lasts close to 2 days, unlike the iPhone 6, where the battery didn't make 12 hours, even with turning most features off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top