Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 03:13 PM

The Octopus in My House - Thu 22 Aug 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007snt

I caught up with this last night - it had been on my back-burner since transmission but, for some reason, I kept putting off viewing .....

When I did get round to the episode, it proved to be a low-key delight - amateurishly entusiastic and gorgeously filmed while being very informative:

A professor develops an extraordinary relationship with an octopus when he invites it to live in his home. The octopus, called Heidi, unravels puzzles, recognises individual humans and even watches TV with the family.

The episode also shows remarkable behaviour from around the world - from the day octopus, which can change colour and texture in a split second, to the coconut octopus, which carries around its own coconut shell to hide in. But most fascinating of all is seeing how Professor David Scheel and his daughter Laurel bond with an animal that has no skeleton, nine brains, three hearts and blue blood running through its veins.
Actually, the Prof's hair is worth watching too - it changes almost as often as Heidi .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Re: The Octopus in My House - Thu 22 Aug 2019

Beautiful colours. I have seen programmes about them before and know that can 'learn' to perform certain tricks. Amazing creatures really.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 04:11 PM

It was a brilliant program. But I would have liked to have known how long they had Heidi after the filming stopped. It was said in the program they only live two years or so.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
It was a brilliant program. But I would have liked to have known how long they had Heidi after the filming stopped. It was said in the program they only live two years or so.
I think two years is optomistic - one year is more probable - so sad that an intelligent creature has so short a life span .....

I think Laurel will be so upset at Heidi's demise that the Prof will HAVE to get her a puppy ....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I think two years is optomistic - one year is more probable - so sad that an intelligent creature has so short a life span .....

I think Laurel will be so upset at Heidi's demise that the Prof will HAVE to get her a puppy ....
She wanted a dog didn't she. I hope she got one.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top