Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 02:20 PM

National Holidays trip to Amsterdam

The Golden Girls are going to be 60 years old soon, one has her birthday in October so we have booked on a trip to Amsterdam with National Coach Holidays.

The trip was originally £99 for 2 nights/3 days and for that you get your coach/ferry trip to Amsterdam and a little free time in Amsterdam. The accommodation was inside cabin bunk beds and none of us fancied bunking so we've upgraded to outside cabin, side by side beds. The original £99 was reduced to £89 yesterday and the outside cabin side by side was £130 reduced yesterday to £116 each. There is no food included although we could have opted to pay £61 each for food but we haven't paid for that.

We are all looking forward to it but we are anticipating it will be cold when we go 29th October so will take some warm clothing. Just hope the sea isn't too rough!

Has anyone done of one of these short cruises on a P & O Ferry? If so, what are the outside cabins like? Are they quite roomy? I think I'm going to take a travel kettle and some coffee.

Anyone been to Amsterdam?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Re: National Holidays trip to Amsterdam

Fabulous, Lion Queen. You and the girls are going to have a great time.

You being Yorkshire-based, you will no doubt be travelling via North Sea Ferries on P&O Cruises.
It sounds like the two nights are for the trips each way to/from Amsterdam, not with a night in a hotel in Amsterdam also? I'm in Hull anyway, so we drive instead of the coach and park up at the port.

We have done this trip many times, either to Brugges on a shorter trip or to Amsterdam.

You have booked the right option in getting the "sea view" accommodation with the much better sleeping option. The beds fold out from the walls opposite each other, 2 to a cabin. The budget (and worse) version is the bunk beds because on the the top bunk you are about four inches from the ceiling and it's so claustrophobic it's awful. I was almost having panic attacks! We always get the fold-out beds when we go now.

When you get onboard get something to eat (although it is very expensive in the restaurant). There are little snack bars though. Alternatively, you're talking£16+ for a meal in the restaurant but you can eat as much as you like. We generally pay for breakfast only and that sets you up for the day because it's a bit of a coach journey to Amsterdam.

Go in the 'blue room' on the top deck where there is a pianist playing. It's really chilled and later you can go to the Show Bar for dancing and an act on stage, plus games and quizzes.

Amsterdam is lovely. Lots to do. Shopping, markets, just general sight seeing. Be careful of some of the bars. Although everybody is friendly, watch what you eat as if you buy a slice of cake in some of more seedy places it may well be laced with cannabis - it's the way out there. But whatever tickles your fancy I guess! I've tried it without prior knowledge of it being in the cake, and it gives you a buzz for a while but my wife was pretty poorly on it.

I'm sure you will have a great time. I am thinking of going again in December around my wife's birthday.

Enjoy it and let us know how you get on!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 05:46 PM

Oh thank you so much for this floydy. Some useful information there . I.ll keep all this in mind, I m going to tell the girls now eeeek excited muchly x
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Oh thank you so much for this floydy. Some useful information there . I.ll keep all this in mind, I m going to tell the girls now eeeek excited muchly x
Take plenty of spending money for the ferry trip. It's pricey onboard for drinks, etc.
Remember though that it's all duty free too so stock up on wine and perfume!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Anyone been to Amsterdam?
Been a few times on business. Went by private plane for a couple of them. And we had a company outing there once.

My wife and I went for a long weekend a few years ago. Timed it for Floriade so it would have been 2002 I think.

A few of the things I remember.
The canals.
The bicycles including one chained to the railings of a canal bridge. Apart from the frame, every other part had been nicked.
The Anne Frank House.
And the pot shops, of course.

Enjoy your visit!
Annette
Germany
Annette is female  Annette has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Although everybody is friendly, watch what you eat as if you buy a slice of cake in some of more seedy places it may well be laced with cannabis - it's the way out there. :

That will only be in a coffee-shop, not in any other place.
And most coffee-shops are not “seedy“ places, most are very well cared for. And kow what? You can get coffee there too
Annette
Germany
Annette is female  Annette has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 05:43 PM

Amsterdam is a nice place to visit, but there are more beautiful places in the Netherlands.

I personally thought the railwaystation is the most beautiful place....there I could find the train back home, up north
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

12-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Annette ->
That will only be in a coffee-shop, not in any other place.
And most coffee-shops are not “seedy“ places, most are very well cared for. And kow what? You can get coffee there too
I did use the word "some", Annette.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 06:21 PM

LQ, I loved Amsterdam & was never bored. When I first went there I was worried about the drugs, but their relaxed attitude seemed to make the place feel safer. We did a guided tour that was interesting. The tall narrow houses sometimes had to have their windows removed to get furniture in them, the people were friendly.... and don't miss the red light district, I found it amusing!
In the summer they sell lots of beautiful flowers. If you don't mind walking it is great... just make sure you take some comfy shoes.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

12-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Annette ->
Amsterdam is a nice place to visit, but there are more beautiful places in the Netherlands.

I personally thought the railwaystation is the most beautiful place....there I could find the train back home, up north
But I want to get away from here up North (of England).

Shame I've only got about 5 hours in Amsterdam itself, most of the trip is spent on the boat, time to get a spliff or two or a couple of space cakes though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top