Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 09:27 PM

Why do we like to be frightened?

I have just watched an episode of 'Trial and Retribution' on DVD. It takes place mainly in a fairground with dodgem cars, Ferris wheel and the obligatory ghost train. Two detectives go through the ghost train and are hit by a dead body falling on them ... and so the story evolves.

But I fell to wondering - why are ghost trains so popular?
Why are horror movies so popular?
What is it in our psyche that makes us want to be scared witless by such things?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 09:49 PM

Re: Why do we like to be frightened?

ST, Regarding films and television. I prefer to be thrilled and intrigued rather than to be frightened.
You know, edge of the seat stuff!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
ST, Regarding films and television. I prefer to be thrilled and intrigued rather than to be frightened.
You know, edge of the seat stuff!
Yes - I like those too, Artangel, but I still wonder why the horror genre is so popular.

Did/Do you ever go on a ghost train or visit a haunted house?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 10:39 PM

I went on the Ghost Train on Blackpool Pleasure Beach when I was around 13 .It was a youth club trip . We each had a lad to hold our hand . It was all laughing and sudden screaming iirc ,not really scary as such .

I never watch horror or scary films deliberately .
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 10:39 PM

And I always thought the Ghost Train was for a smooch and a cuddle with the companion of your choice.I've never been scared in one,anyway
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I went on the Ghost Train on Blackpool Pleasure Beach when I was around 13 .It was a youth club trip . We each had a lad to hold our hand . It was all laughing and sudden screaming iirc ,not really scary as such .

I never watch horror or scary films deliberately .

Me too.
I won't watch horror films either.

keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 11:13 PM

Being scared activates the "fight or flight" mechanism in our bodies. This involves the sudden release of endorphins and adrenaline to give us a "turbo charge" to deal with threats. The fact that they are just movies doesn't make much difference. The whole reason why movies and acting works is because we suspend disbelief. IN other words, the interaction between the presentation and the viewer creates the false reality that we have to fall for to make the experience work. If the acting, the story and the production is good enough, we usually do. We all know that movies and enjoying them can be kind of addictive. So can going to the gym. That endorphin release is very powerful and can become addictive. As can obtaining that same release from watching scary movies. You either love them or you don't. There is also another element to it. THat is what the Germans call "Schadenfreude". This is the mirror image of empathy and/or sympathy; the edgy feeling you can get when you can sit back nice and safe and watch somebody else's misery or pain and feel kind of smug because it's not you. Hence how people used to flock to public executions or punishments or still do to traffic accidents etc. If we do or have done this it doesn't mean we are awful, cruel people. It means we are normal. It's part of all of us. Sorry to be so clinical. But you know what they say..You can take the boy out of the job but not the job out of the boy.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 06:27 AM

We like to be frightened because it's a controlled way of getting the thrill of a dangerous situation without the actual jeopardy. Simple.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 06:44 AM

I don't watch many horror movies as there is no point as I don't see them anyway because either I close my eyes or I peep through my fingers. I have an over active imagination and it plays on my mind for days after

I remember when I was 15 going to see what all the hype about The Exorcist was, big mistake, I was petrified. I remember thinking, how could you and who would think up such evil, they must have a warped mind.

No, i.m much more a feel good movie kind of girl such as Aladdin and Greatest Showman
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 06:51 AM

Being on everyday Trains, under certain circumstances, can be more uneasing than a Ghost Train, and cost significantly more for the experience.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top