Join for free
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 09:14 PM

Re: No talent "art""

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, with discussions of art, has anyone else spent time in The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities in Cairo?

During my Egyptian journey, I spent many days in that museum. Occasionally, I'd prop myself up against a wall and spend several hours soaking up the mysteries of various sculptures.

Meanwhile, groups of tourists were herded through like flocks of sheep, and getting only brief glimpses of the art.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I think they are just sensitive creatures, Bratti, who like to make sure that a marble statue isn't that well endowed
Ohhhhh. Of course. The male ego is quite amazing isn’t it?
Originally Posted by Harbal ->
It doesn't come naturally; I have to work at it.

I do appreciate fine sculptures but those nudes just aren’t my thing. Now sculptures of Vikings on horses or polar bears or wolves would be my type of thing. My favourite type of art is watercolour paintings or wood carvings. I have painted many pictures and most of them are water colour but some are acrylic. Scenic pictures are probably my favourite thing to paint. Subject matters like old barns, churches, lighthouses, old horses , trains, old bridges, horse and buggies. My least favourite subject matter are people. My husband carves song birds.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I think I can guarantee that very, very few men think like that.
Please Bratti, don't include me in that group.

Personally, I am much more interested in the skill it takes to create something so life-like. Good heavens, even the artery in The David's neck seems to pulse with life.
No I don’t think all men are like that. I’m just kidding….
sort of.

I agree with the dedication and craftsmanship it takes to complete such a sculpture. It’s extraordinary talent for sure. There’s a women on another site I’m on who creatures these types of sculptures and she’s incredibly good. Her work is extremely impressive. I’ll ask if I can show her work here. I think you’ll be impressed Bakerman.

Ok I got her permission. Her name is Cheryl Gaer Barlow and here are some of her sculptures. I believe 4 of them are bronze sculptures and the Indian one I think is clay. Here is her link
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cherylgaerbarlow/ in case anyone is interested.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	071127BB-E957-4A36-AA7F-193DEB285C32.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	15916   Click image for larger version

Name:	6FFB515D-090A-464C-9CC0-EC1C156022AC.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	15917   Click image for larger version

Name:	B22ABDD8-768B-4DEF-B0E8-CC6CD3C948EB.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	15918   Click image for larger version

Name:	73B82D50-1ACD-4168-8D07-932EF8856C9A.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	15919   Click image for larger version

Name:	FE031529-8C74-4791-B92D-CD848B124261.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	15920  

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 07:54 AM

Twink, You are a lucky woman to be able to have that special feeling. That feeling is perhaps more rare than you may realize.
By the way, legend has it that when Michelangelo completed The Moses statue, he struck it with a small hammer and exclaimed "Now speak".
Thank you for that legend, I can believe it was true! Michelangelo must have been proud of his sculptures, so when completed maybe he felt like I did & wanted them to come to life!
Some people are talented enough to sculpt a life like body, but with David it was the detail of things like his nails and cuticles that made me think "he could almost be real". I have seen many statues but none have ever affected me in the same way this one did!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
No I don’t think all men are like that. I’m just kidding….
sort of.

I agree with the dedication and craftsmanship it takes to complete such a sculpture. It’s extraordinary talent for sure. There’s a women on another site I’m on who creatures these types of sculptures and she’s incredibly good. Her work is extremely impressive. I’ll ask if I can show her work here. I think you’ll be impressed Bakerman.

Ok I got her permission. Her name is Cheryl Gaer Barlow and here are some of her sculptures. I believe 4 of them are bronze sculptures and the Indian one I think is clay. Here is her link
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cherylgaerbarlow/ in case anyone is interested.
Thank you, Bratti for posting those images. Sort of reminds me of Frederick Remington's work.

Name:	s-l1000.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	15921   Click image for larger version

Name:	R1e38dea9549e40ed8fc49a3fc4ecbcaa.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	15922  
bakerman
Mexico

14-06-2021, 08:57 AM

I have always enjoyed the paintings of John Waterhouse.

As an aside, Waterhouse often painted Naiads. Demi Godesses from the ancient Greeks. The Naiad's of Greek legend are always associated with water. Well worth the time it takes to study the ancient legends behind Waterhouse's work.

Name:	waterhouse-john-william-a-naiad.-mythical-fine-art-print-poster.-sizes-a4-a3-a2-a1-00851--7962-p.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	15923  
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 10:11 AM

I rather like the tall slender statues by Alberto Giacometti. Cast in bronze and quite simplistic in nature, I think they are quite serene.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/...iacometti-1159
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 07:09 PM

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, with discussions of art, has anyone else spent time in The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities in Cairo?

During my Egyptian journey, I spent many days in that museum. Occasionally, I'd prop myself up against a wall and spend several hours soaking up the mysteries of various sculptures.

Meanwhile, groups of tourists were herded through like flocks of sheep, and getting only brief glimpses of the art.
Yes and have also been inside Tutankhamun's tomb.
bakerman
Mexico

15-06-2021, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes and have also been inside Tutankhamun's tomb.
When I was inside Tutankhamun's tomb, I was quite surprised to find in so small. But, then again, perhaps not so surprising as Tut was nearly an unknown Pharaoh until Howard Carter unearthed him.

Consider the difference between Tut's tomb and that of Ramses IV

Name:	ramesses-the-sixth-tomb-book-of-caverns-PN7322.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	15940  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 08:26 PM

Yes I have been there fantastic straight out of The Mummy !

Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top