Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 07:13 PM

Hair colour

I'm thinking of having a go at home hair colouring. I'm about 50/50 grey/dark brown. I want to keep the dark brown but highlight the grey - maybe make it golden brown or similar.

Can anybody recommend any colourants that will alter the grey but leave the dark colour as it is?

I'm a novice at this - never coloured my hair since I tried henna when I was 20!!

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 07:23 PM

Re: Hair colour

I use Colour Effects by Superdrug. It only costs a pound and is semi permanent. I don't have a lot of grey in my medium brown hair, - its kind of in patches - but what I discovered is that this stuff highlights the grey to look like golden brown highlights, while darkening the rest of my hair to a reddish brown (because the colour I choose is 6.4 Rich Red). I'm sure it would do the same if you wanted more of a warmer brown for yourself. It washes out in about 8 washes, so you can change if you don't like it.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 09:11 PM

I have no idea about color Carol - sorry. Please post the end results
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
I have no idea about color Carol - sorry. Please post the end results

I might be completely white by then.

Just thinking about it and gathering information at the mo...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 07:26 AM

I am not an expert either but you have to be careful with grey in case it turns out ginger.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 08:04 AM

Hi

You look lovely as you are.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 08:08 AM

I was thinking about a home colour too Carol but like you I'm a bit scared to try and there are so many products available.. its very confusing...I might try a semi permanent as Pixie suggested then at least if I don't like it it will wash out.....eventually.

Good luck let's know how you get on
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 08:22 AM

I quite often use Belle Colour in one of their blonde/brown shades. My hair's grey now and for a few weeks it looks really good - a golden light brown. I find however that these colours just seem to slide off my hair after a few washes and after a month there's nothing to see. Perhaps I could try a different make. They do give my hair a lovely shine though, which conditioner never does.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

07-02-2021, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You look lovely as you are.

Aw thanks swimmy.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

07-02-2021, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I was thinking about a home colour too Carol but like you I'm a bit scared to try and there are so many products available.. its very confusing...I might try a semi permanent as Pixie suggested then at least if I don't like it it will wash out.....eventually.

Good luck let's know how you get on

I may try Pixies suggestion too.

I'm also afraid the grey will turn ginger as Muddy pointed out. What a mess that would look|!

Hmmm - dare I - dare I not......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top