Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 12:43 AM

Re: What's Hiding

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Baz that takes me back. My two bosses in my first job both had Scimitars. One of them, the engine caught fire for no apparent reason and that was the end of that.
That was a well-known problem and due to the fuel pipe being a press fit into the carburettor so it was possible for this to come apart, spraying petrol over the hot engine and exhaust manifold with the disastrous results you mention. The fibreglass body is highly flammable so the whole car is destroyed in minutes. The first Scimitar I owned had the modification of the fuel pipe being pinned to prevent it coming apart. Most insurance companies insisted on written confirmation of this modification anyway before insuring any Scimitar.

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Oh that’s lovely Baz46
Thanks Minx, they are also very nice to drive as every car is hand-built so different due to that.
Very different to the modern cars that come off the production line identical in every way.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I think they used Ford V6 2.8 engines with a light Fibreglass body, the convertible would be a good project.
The older cars had a V6 3.0 litre Ford 'Essex' engine and fibreglass body. Later models, as the car I own, had the engine you mention, known as the 'Cologne' engine. There was also space next to the nearside wing for a fuel injection unit, apparently Ford would not for some reason supply that unit. The fibreglass body is good in that it does not rust but can show signs of hairline cracks on some cars. The last cars in production, like mine, also had a galvanised chassis so with that and the rustless body can last in good condition for many years. Only around 450 of the model I have were built so quite rare.

I could have bought a convertible when I bought my GTE, for the same price too as there was a 'deal' on at the time. However, the weather in this country was not very encouraging in that. Now though, for financial value reasons I should have bought the GTC, it's probably worth getting on for double that of the GTE model.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 10:42 AM

Re: What's Hiding

Its getting closer to buying a Sur Ron, the off road version is £4100.00, and the road legal one £4500.00. Got a phone quote for insurance on the road legal on of £200.00 third party only (the underwriters would no accept the theft risk) so, I just went on a motorcycle insurance comparison site to see if I could get a better price, and was shocked. Only one company quoted on it and get this, for starters, the voluntary excess was £1925.00, they did quote for Third Party and Theft, one off annual payment £562.70 or, Deposit £87.41 and 8 Payments of £75.75 total £693.41, and this was with an annual mileage of just 1000 on road miles.
Looks like plan B, put it in the van and go green laning.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top