Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 09:03 PM

A useful MoT reminder service

There is a useful government MoT reminder service, not sure how it was found originally but it works. Usually we receive reminders of expiry of our car insurance, also a reminder through the post for renewal of Vehicle Excise Licence (car tax) but when the MoT is due to expire there is no reminder. Sometimes a garage, where the car may be regularly serviced and is possibly MoTd at the same time, will send a reminder but as far as I am aware they are not obliged to do this.

This government MoT reminder service works very well, worth registering if there is no other way you are reminded. All you need is either a mobile phone number or a current e-mail address:

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 10:51 PM

Re: A useful MoT reminder service

Thanks for that Baz46. Luckily for me, I get reminded every year when I go online to renew my tax (I always do this as soon as I get the notification, well in advance) and it tells me it can't find an up to date MOT for my vehicle for the tax period! Oops, time to book it then
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 12:17 AM

I put the date of the MOT in my computer diary. Then a reminder pops up on screen ten days before it's due.

You can, of course, go on line and check when your MOT runs out here
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 05:45 AM

The Service NSW app on my phone tells me when rego is due but as far as I know it doesn't remind you when it is due, however i think you get an email.

It has been a problem since they did away with rego stickers on your car some years ago and some people have been fined for driving an unregistered vehicle because they didn't realise their rego had run out.

Since Covid the Service NSW app has been the method of logging in and out of shops, restaurants etc and it now has my driving license on it so perhaps it is just a matter of remembering to check rego when you visit the app.

Come to think of it I must check to see if my four $25 Dining and Entertainment vouchers have arrived, the State government keeps promising them but has yet to deliver.

I understand the Covid vaccination certificate will also appear there eventually

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210304_155520_au.gov.nsw.service.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	14908  
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 08:20 AM

No government MoT reminder over here but every garage where your car was serviced last takes an interest in reminding you with a letter that MoT needs to be renewed. Customer retention and hoping to get something to do.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 08:28 AM

Hi

Mine is due in May, due to lockdown, it will be less than 2000 miles since the last one.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 11:30 AM

I have been using the reminder for a couple of years now and it is very useful now that we no longer have a tax disc to look at.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 05:21 PM

I had my old car tested at KwikFit one year because I was desperate. Since then, they have sent me an email reminder every year about 2 weeks before the MoT was due but I never went back.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 06:25 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone. Today I had another reminder that the existing MoT runs out in two weeks' time so that means two reminders, which is good I reckon. Originally it was a reminder a month prior to when a MoT test was due, as I thought it was this time.

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Thanks for that Baz46. Luckily for me, I get reminded every year when I go online to renew my tax (I always do this as soon as I get the notification, well in advance) and it tells me it can't find an up to date MOT for my vehicle for the tax period! Oops, time to book it then
Providing both the road tax and MoT coincide or an 'Oops' could cost a fine of up to £1,000!
(I didn't realise the level of the fine until now.)

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
I put the date of the MOT in my computer diary. Then a reminder pops up on screen ten days before it's due.

You can, of course, go on line and check when your MOT runs out here
Yes, I could have used the diary on my mobile or laptop but on seeing this system, in beta form some years' back, I thought it ideal so registered. The link you give is part of that same government website.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The Service NSW app on my phone tells me when rego is due but as far as I know it doesn't remind you when it is due, however i think you get an email.
With all that information on one app. I reckon that's the sort of technology every country should have. Life for many is very busy so it's easy to overlook things, what better way to have a reminders, all in the one place.

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
No government MoT reminder over here but every garage where your car was serviced last takes an interest in reminding you with a letter that MoT needs to be renewed. Customer retention and hoping to get something to do.
After I stopped being able to service and repair my own vehicles, they have been regularly services by garages in the past. Other than when I bought a new car from a main dealer and the first MoT was due, I've never yet had a reminder that the MoT is due. However, that main dealer was charging nearly £100 an hour, could that I wonder be the reason?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Mine is due in May, due to lockdown, it will be less than 2000 miles since the last one.
Lower mileage, like most people swimfeeders, while this lockdown has been on. I am hoping the insurance premium reflects this lower mileage on renewal. Less risk the less the renewal premium should cost I reckon.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have been using the reminder for a couple of years now and it is very useful now that we no longer have a tax disc to look at.
Seems to work very well for me too. There's another anomaly with my car though, it's zero Vehicle Excise Duty (vehicle road tax) due to low emissions but I still have to apply and 'pay' that zero tax every year! I do this online and get a confirmation e-mail that 'nil' amount has been paid!

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I had my old car tested at KwikFit one year because I was desperate. Since then, they have sent me an email reminder every year about 2 weeks before the MoT was due but I never went back.
I would have to be more than desperately desperate to go anywhere near one of those places! Too many people I know have had really bad rip-off experiences there, including family members!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I would have to be more than desperately desperate to go anywhere near one of those places! Too many people I know have had really bad rip-off experiences there, including family members!
I only went there because the MoT was well overdue and I couldn't get a test done anywhere else that day. Fortunately, there was nothing found that needed repair - just a couple of advisories.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top