Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:51 PM

The Yorkshire Pudding!

You've heard of the Yorkshire Rose, The Yorkshire Pullman, Yorkshire Relish & all that.

However, can I draw your attention back to the Yorkshire Pudding?

Today, I was in my armchair, thinking about some of the best meals I ever had, and my mind was drawn to the Yorkshire Pud, which I often sampled, in a Pub, in the centre of Leeds.

It arrived on a large dinner plate, with all the Gravy, mashed spuds & veg filling the inside of this 12 inch diameter giant!

If you attacked it the wrong way you got Gravy all over your trousers!

I decided to make it again, for old times sake.

Then I found a replica in the local Supermarket, here!

All I had to do was add all the other stuff.(Having opened the plastic bag)

Job Done, Gut rumbling!

Are you lot too old to remember it?

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:55 PM

Re: The Yorkshire Pudding!

Still make my own Yorkshire Puddings - a simple enough job once you've mastered the process. Trouble with ready-made puds is that the edges are too hard and crispy, probably as a result of having been cooked twice.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Still make my own Yorkshire Puddings - a simple enough job once you've mastered the process. Trouble with ready-made puds is that the edges are too hard and crispy, probably as a result of having been cooked twice.
Judd,

I thought you might respond!

Can you give me a quick briefing on how you make it?

My mother was an expert as she was Head Chef at the Trocedero Cafe, in Withernsea, so I never had to learn!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 05:01 PM

Every time we have roast beef and spuds, we always have a gert big home made Yorkshire Pudding made with beef dripping ...YUMMIE!!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Judd,

I thought you might respond!

Can you give me a quick briefing on how you make it?

My mother was an expert as she was Head Chef at the Trocedero Cafe, in Withernsea, so I never had to learn!
The ingredients for Yorkshire puds are done by volume, not weight, so I use cups. For my 10"x8" roasting dish, I use half a cup of plain flour, half a cup of eggs, and half a cup of milk.

Before you start to make the puds, put a decent amount of lard, clarified beef-dripping or suitable oil such as sunflower into your chosen tin. Put the tin(s) in the oven (middle shelf) and crank up temperature to around 200degC then forget about it while you make the puds.

In a large bowl, put in your flour, add some salt and make a well in the middle. Add your eggs (half a cup is around two eggs) into the well, and using a balloon whisk, lightly beat the eggs adding some of the flour a bit at a time until the mixture is quite thick. Add a drop of your milk and stir the batter. Keep adding milk and keep stirring to avoid lumps. You can start to vigorously beat the batter to get some air into it, and you can see small bubbles appearing on the surface.

By the time you've made the batter (around 12mins or so) your tins should be ready. Open the oven door, and slide out the shelf with your tin on it, make sure the fat/oil is slightly smoking, then pour in your batter. The batter should start to sizzle and cook as you pour in the batter. Put the shelf back and close the oven door - turn down the oven to around 180degC and walk away. Don't even think about opening the oven door for at least 12 mins - if it's a glass door, even better. You can monitor the process through the door.

The pudding is done when it is well-risen and still soft in the middle (think pancake).

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201226_170635.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	16109  
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

28-06-2021, 07:21 PM

Wow!

I must give it a go ASAP, Judd!

Thanks!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 07:24 PM

That looks good enough to eat Judd . Thanks for the recipe - I never have any trouble with making Yorkshire pud, it's usually OK, but I've never tried measuring by volume like that, and I have to say yours looks a lot nicer than mine, so I might give it a go!

Funny how you can go on doing things the same way you always have, and think it's OK, and then someone shows you a different way and bam! You instantly see that you've set the bar too low all your life
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 08:03 PM

I wanted to dive into the picture and eat the pud there and then
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 08:05 PM

My Nan was the antidote to Yorkshire pudding making. For a start she called it Batter pudding and it was a bit burnt around the edges but flat and doughy in the middle. I still ate it though, it tasted lovely.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 08:36 PM

That looks smashing Judsy, much better than mine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top