Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 03:12 PM

Has the Brexit subforum had it's day?

Brexit has been and gone.

When (or maybe it should be "if") the European Parliament ratify the deal, the deadline for which is April 30th, that's it.
Even if they don't ratify the deal there's no going back.
We are out.

There will be those that argue that some things are not settled, and indeed that might well be true.
After nigh-on fifty years of integration it is probably unreasonable to expect any seperation to be either immediately complete or immediately mutually completely satisfactory.

I already know too that some will argue that we've not really left and we have instead BRINO or some other such theorizing, but that argument really doesn't alter the fact that as of 23:00hrs on December 31st 2020 the UK was officially no longer a member of the EU.

In honesty I think that there are few worthwhile topics left in this part of the forum and that what remains frequently seems to be so contentious that accrimony is all too often the only result.
Hence there are few regular contributors too, with the same few essentially dominating what little discussion remains.
Future issues could very adequately be covered in the Politics & Gov't thread.

Personally I'm more interested in the views of those that maybe read but don't post, or that do not often post in here rather than the few regular contributors of which there are only a handful now.

So, has this Brexit subforum had it's day and should it be mothballed?

Please don't take this as me trying to tell our excellent Az, Meg & Mags their jobs because I'm not.
I'm judging the opinion of contributors to the forum so to that end I'd like to say thanks for reading and a bigger thanks if you're not one of the few regulars to this part of the forum and you submit a post here yourself.

Have I set a forum record for a sequence of words in one sentence ending with the letter "y" with "immediately mutually completely satisfactory"?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 03:24 PM

Re: Has the Brexit subforum had it's day?

A Bit odd this, Zaph.

If you are bored with it, don't go there.

I still enjoy seeing the cut and thrust as questions & answers continued to rock, back & forth.

Brexit might be nearly done, but we want to see if we think it's being done right!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 03:51 PM

I know what you mean, but some people like to go back and see what was posted, so they are not usually removed.
I don't want to read all the arguments that continue on there because we have now left the EU & I hope that never changes but, if others want to, that is up to them.
When I joined this forum a number of others joined too, from another place, and the reason we all stayed here was because OFF allowed us to post our opinion freely( providing it didn't break any rules) and that is thanks to Azz, Meg & Mags!
We all knew that Brexit may cause a few harsh years, and perhaps some members still want to give their opinions on how things have gone. Even I have posted occasionally , but that is more to keep up to date with what they are discussing!

On the bright side, all the remainers no longer keep telling us how stupid we were to leave!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
A Bit odd this, Zaph.

If you are bored with it, don't go there.

I still enjoy seeing the cut and thrust as questions & answers continued to rock, back & forth.

Brexit might be being done, but we wany to see if we think it's being done right!
Thanks for your input but what's odd with asking a question in an open forum Ted?
And who is saying that I'm bored with it, because I haven't and in fact as I'm sure you realize I'm one of the few remaining regular contributors here.

I'm asking other forum members whether or not they think this particular part of the forum has had it's day.

I can understand wanting to see if we think it's being done right as you phrase it but does it really need a whole devoted bit of the forum for that?
When the Politics & Gov't thread would amply suffice?

Certainly the "Pro" and "Against" headings seem to be pretty much redundant, one not having seen a post in years and the other a mere handfull or soo in the last few years.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 03:56 PM

Maybe someone should come up with a name for this new exciting post brexit era we are in.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Maybe someone should come up with a name for this new exciting post brexit era we are in.
"Ship Creek?"

Or, "We'reOut?"
Zaphod
Lincs UK

05-04-2021, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I know what you mean, but some people like to go back and see what was posted, so they are not usually removed.
I don't want to read all the arguments that continue on there because we have now left the EU & I hope that never changes but, if others want to, that is up to them.
When I joined this forum a number of others joined too, from another place, and the reason we all stayed here was because OFF allowed us to post our opinion freely( providing it didn't break any rules) and that is thanks to Azz, Meg & Mags!
We all knew that Brexit may cause a few harsh years, and perhaps some members still want to give their opinions on how things have gone. Even I have posted occasionally , but that is more to keep up to date with what they are discussing!

On the bright side, all the remainers no longer keep telling us how stupid we were to leave!
Thanks for your input Twink.

To be clear: I wasn't suggesting the whole lot dissappear, just that maybe it has had it's day.
We can usually see the content of threads that are shut, from what I can see at least.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

05-04-2021, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Something like "Post Brexit" you mean?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Thanks for your input but what's odd with asking a question in an open forum Ted?
And who is saying that I'm bored with it, because I haven't and in fact as I'm sure you realize I'm one of the few remaining regular contributors here.

I'm asking other forum members whether or not they think this particular part of the forum has had it's day.

I can understand wanting to see if we think it's being done right as you phrase it but does it really need a whole devoted bit of the forum for that?
When the Politics & Gov't thread would amply suffice?

Certainly the "Pro" and "Against" headings seem to be pretty much redundant, one not having seen a post in years and the other a mere handfull or soo in the last few years.
That's exactly why l suggested you should use one of them. Zaphod
as you are cluttering up this section of the forum with name
calling, (such as your troll comments etc) instead of trying to
change our minds by logic??
Ted has now asked you the same question l asked at least 3times
without answer, why do you persist if you think we are old and
constantly repeating the same old same old mantra??
This section of the forum has always had its disagreements but has
mostly comported itself reasonably untill now, untill Zaphod appeared on the scene early this year ??
Now we cannot answer or post anything on here without going
through exactly what l have just posted, when all l want is to post
my opinion on the progress or lack of it in the brexit process not
get involved in pointless battles to discredit each other instead
of dealing with the issues ??
I also find it strange that someone who espouses the benefits of
brexit should seek to decry those who only want the same thing??
I only wish l had the will power to resist responding to you like
this !!

Donkeyman! 👎👎👎
Zaphod
Lincs UK

05-04-2021, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
That's exactly why l suggested you should use one of them. Zaphod
as you are cluttering up this section of the forum with name
calling, (such as your troll comments etc) instead of trying to
change our minds by logic??
Hey!
If you're just going to try and bring your nastiness into here stay away please.

By definition your post is trolling.
Chasing people across other threads to provoke a response from them is trolling too.
I tell you what.
You stop trolling and I will stop telling you when you're trolling.
Fair?

Read the posts from here, post #33 onwards for the answer you so far seem determined to ignore:
https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...t=74151&page=4

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top