Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 12:13 PM

Lost golden city' found in Egypt reveals lives of ancient pharaohs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56686448

The discovery of a 3,000-year-old city that was lost to the sands of Egypt has been hailed as one of the most important archaeological finds since Tutankhamun's tomb.

Famed Egyptologist Zahi Hawass announced the discovery of the "lost golden city" near Luxor on Thursday. He said the find was the largest ancient city, known as Aten, ever uncovered in Egypt. It was unearthed within weeks of the excavation starting in September 2020.

The city dates to the reign of Amenhotep III, one of Egypt's most powerful pharaohs, who ruled from 1391 to 1353 BC. The city continued to be used by pharaohs Ay and Tutankhamun, whose nearly intact tomb was discovered in the Valley of the Kings by British archaeologist Howard Carter in 1922.

The dig revealed a large number of valuable archaeological finds, such as jewellery, coloured pottery, scarab beetle amulets and mud bricks bearing seals of Amenhotep III.

The team began excavations on the west bank of Luxor near the Valley of the Kings, some 500 km (300 miles) south of the capital Cairo. Now, seven months after the dig started, several areas or neighbourhoods have been uncovered, including a bakery, an administrative district and a residential area.
Simply amazing .....

I hope that a documentary will be released .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 12:55 PM

Re: Lost golden city' found in Egypt reveals lives of ancient pharaohs

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56686448

Simply amazing .....

I hope that a documentary will be released .....
Wow - am looking forward to hearing more about this. Thank you, Omah.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Wow - am looking forward to hearing more about this. Thank you, Omah.
I should have included a photo - here's one:

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 03:16 PM

Leave it to you, Omah, to supply us with such interesting news! Filling in the spaces of history is so satisfying and a source of pride to the Egyptian people. Ever fascinating that such a civilization grew in such a harsh environment deplete of so many natural resources.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 03:36 PM

I just love it . Wonderful.

I have read that its said underneath the sphinx are more rooms un excavated . I adore ancient history
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-04-2021, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Leave it to you, Omah, to supply us with such interesting news! Filling in the spaces of history is so satisfying and a source of pride to the Egyptian people. Ever fascinating that such a civilization grew in such a harsh environment deplete of so many natural resources.
It's only in the last couple of years that I've taken an interest in Egyptology. Previously, I'd thought the history too vast to comprehend but a few very interesting documentaries convinced me that it was worth concentrating on some of the better-known pharaohs, including Amenhotep III:

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I just love it . Wonderful.

I have read that its said underneath the sphinx are more rooms unexcavated . I adore ancient history
I remember there being a lot about that in the media a few years back - then it all went quiet!

Wonder if any modern Egyptians still believe in their old gods - Osiris, Basht, Isis, Anubis etc.,
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 09:05 AM

Brilliant I look forward to hearing more about it

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top