Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 03:20 PM

Re: Thoughts about Doctors....

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Last December, just before Christmas, I had a strange mole-looking thing appear on my ribs. It itched like mad, so was eventually frozen off by dermatology.

I just had a letter come today about a follow-up appt. to see if the treatment worked.

Silly me imagined it would be a quick visit back to dermatology, but I was wrong. It will be a phone call only, and they have informed me it will be next September!!! So my follow-up will not be for 10 months after treatment.
Bloomin' good job the freezing did the trick ey.
Wow mupsy thats bad. Im glad your freeze worked too that would have been very worrying had it not.

Seems like I am the only lucky one around here with our practice, im so glad I have my medical practice.

Xxx
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Wow mupsy thats bad. Im glad your freeze worked too that would have been very worrying had it not.

Seems like I am the only lucky one around here with our practice, im so glad I have my medical practice.

Xxx

Thanks Queenie and Pixie.
I could hardly believe I've got to wait 10 months for just a phone call!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 11:22 PM

That sounds so wrong Mups .
I am glad it went but even so .
We are lucky here and the doctor will see someone after a phone call if he thinks it’s necessary .
For referrals it takes longer
Mr M had a call from the cardiologist last week he wants him him to come in for a test he thinks it will be in about three months or so appointments are made from some central office .
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I have lost faith in doctors now. If I needed a doctor myself, I would demand to see one.
Not the only one, Mags!

From the DT news today:-

"The report said: “It is increasingly clear that many patients have found that new methods for arranging appointments do not work for them, or simply that they do not understand how to go about it. GPs are the front door to the NHS, and patients are increasingly perceiving that that door is closed to them.”

Roughly half of those who had telephone consultations said the experience was worse than a traditional appointment, with three times as many saying they were unhappy about their experience, compared with those offering praise.

The report warns: “The data does not show a ringing endorsement of new or remote methods for accessing NHS care; indeed, in most cases patients rated these methods worse than traditional contact.”

Across all NHS services, two thirds of patients had struggled to access care, with almost as many seeing appointments cancelled or postponed.

Ms Power said: “The results show much that is worrying. Access to GP services continues to be a struggle for many patients, and there is clear dissatisfaction among many with the nature of remote consultations by phone or other means.

“As a result, we are calling for face-to-face appointments to be restored as the default form of GP appointment, with remote consultations available as an option for those who prefer them.”

The polling last year was completed by 953 people, while the survey this year had 453 responses.

Meanwhile an investigation by Pulse magazine for GPs reveals that 96 practices closed or merged with other practices last year, in findings which doctors described as “shocking”.

Dr Lisa Harrod-Rothwell, who represents GPs in London, said more should have been done to avoid closures during the pandemic.

Dr Rothwell, deputy chief executive of London’s Local Medical Committees (LMCs) said: “It is shocking that any patients in London have lost the local GP practice they know and depend on in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.”

She said practices should have been given more support to stave off closures during the biggest health crisis for decades.

Dr Peter Holden, from Derby and Derbyshire LMC said many practices were “only two resignations away from collapse” with many GPs overloaded close to retirement age.

An NHS spokesperson said:“Contrary to this survey of just 453 people, general practice carried out 275 million appointments throughout the pandemic, over half of which were face to face. While there is ongoing demand for remote consultations, the NHS will continue to regularly review the process for accessing appointments so patients get timely and appropriate care depending on need and preference.”

susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 09:53 AM

I rang to ask for an appointment and was told I could have a phone call in one week it was actually 7 days I waited . I had my phone call which was 5 minutes and now been and had bloods done . 7 days for a phone call .

Mind you our surgery is lovely but I'm concerned as we have 1000 new houses being built nearby and no more doctors or no talk of more doctors

I'm quite worried about being unwell actually
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I rang to ask for an appointment and was told I could have a phone call in one week it was actually 7 days I waited . I had my phone call which was 5 minutes and now been and had bloods done . 7 days for a phone call .

Mind you our surgery is lovely but I'm concerned as we have 1000 new houses being built nearby and no more doctors or no talk of more doctors

I'm quite worried about being unwell actually

I know what you mean, Susan.
There was a big houseing complex built not far from me a while back, and the local surgery comlained to the planners and said they could not deal with such an influx of new patients, and the surgery had no room to expand either.

This is happening all over the place.
They are building more and more houses but not adding enough to local amenities and health care providers to cope.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 03:37 PM

our GP's are Asian and I find it sometimes difficult to hear what they're saying when in the consulting room, but it's 10 times more dificult on the phone. when the pandemic started and we were told not to attend the health centre, everything was done over the phone, we could phone for our repeat prescriptions and speak to a receptionist, but now when we phone it's a recorded message press 1 for ...and so on leave name D.O.B. what meds you need and that's it .I can't see a time when we'll get back to normal...I remember when I was a child...going back a bit now...when someone was ill the gp would make a house call, and come back within the week to see how you were, without being asked to....those days are long gone..
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 03:56 PM

I find it worrying that so many GP's are doing phonecalls....like Paula said, if English isn't their first language its difficult to communicate. Especially when its all these options to press. My surgery doesn't even do video calls, like skype or whatever its called. I think face to face even that way, would be reassuring to patients who are ill. But then for many folk, that's not even possible....who wants to navigate round a computer when you are ill?!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-05-2021, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I find it worrying that so many GP's are doing phonecalls....like Paula said, if English isn't their first language its difficult to communicate. Especially when its all these options to press. My surgery doesn't even do video calls, like skype or whatever its called. I think face to face even that way, would be reassuring to patients who are ill. But then for many folk, that's not even possible....who wants to navigate round a computer when you are ill?!

Skype would be no use whatsoever to me Pixie, because I haven't a clue how to do it.

I loathe these telephone consulatations. I think they could even be dangerous if diagnosing without seeing.
They can't even take a patient's temperature!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 06:44 AM

A news item this morning seems to indicate the situation with doctors and getting an appointment / treatment is worsening, which is rather concerning:

"Rising numbers of patients needing care, restrictions on access and a shortage of GPs is threatening to overwhelm the system, doctors and patient groups are warning.

It comes after the pandemic has caused severe disruption to GP practices, with services now struggling to keep up with demand."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57229848

Edited to add:

Although this particular news item concerns Northern Ireland, it appears we are not alone in this, there are similar problems there too concerning the health service:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57262289

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top