Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 04:48 PM

F.A.O. Bakerman

Hi there,

Have recently found a rather tasty sounding recipe that uses something called 'New York Strip Steak'. I have no idea what that is - please can you enlighten me? Is it similar to braising steak?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 10:48 AM

Re: F.A.O. Bakerman

New York strip steak is a cut of beef which is known by a variety of other names, including shell steak, Kansas city steak, top loin steak, hotel cut steak, and ambassador steak. This cut of meat is particularly prized for its flavour and tenderness, and it tends to fetch a high price on the market. Many butchers carry New York strip steak, and it is a common offering on restaurant menus. Many people like this cut of meat rare (not me), showcasing the delicate flavour and naturally tender texture. Have you tried Wagyu (Chinese Cow) Beef by any chance? That to me has to be the best meat ever and then some :thumbup:
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
New York strip steak is a cut of beef which is known by a variety of other names, including shell steak, Kansas city steak, top loin steak, hotel cut steak, and ambassador steak. This cut of meat is particularly prized for its flavour and tenderness, and it tends to fetch a high price on the market. Many butchers carry New York strip steak, and it is a common offering on restaurant menus. Many people like this cut of meat rare (not me), showcasing the delicate flavour and naturally tender texture.
Thank you, dongles - will have words with our local butcher.

Have you tried Wagyu (Chinese Cow) Beef by any chance? That to me has to be the best meat ever and then some :thumbup:
Never even heard of that one - is it really Chinese?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Never even heard of that one - is it really Chinese?
Read about the breeds HERE
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

26-04-2021, 02:35 PM

Read about the breeds HERE
First - let me apologize for calling you 'dongles' when you are nothing like that rascally reprobate!

Second - thank you for the information. I have never thought of Japan as a beef producing country.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
First - let me apologize for calling you 'dongles' when you are nothing like that rascally reprobate!

Second - thank you for the information. I have never thought of Japan as a beef producing country.
Sorry for the delay, Tabby. I didn't notice your post until just now.
As said above, a New York strip steak is merely the name of a cut of beef. Almost always it is char-broiled, but could be braised if you desire to make a dish that uses slices/chunks of beef.
Japan may not be much of a beef producing nation but it does produce the absolute finest beef in the world. The beeves are fed beer mash and are hand massaged daily. That is called Kobe beef. If I remember correctly, I saw it for sale in Hong Kong at a high end butcher shop and it was for sale at $120 USD/ 1/2 kilo.
The N.Y. strip comes from the end of the short loin.
Notice the marbling in the raw steak. That is were the flavor comes from. TIP: personally, when I broil a steak I rarely trim the fat before broiling it. Let the guest cut away the fat at the table. YUMMY

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	3885e98510c9835d21c112da08114669--angus-beef-visual-design.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	15368   Click image for larger version

Name:	strip-steak-bone-in-2500-56a2108a5f9b58b7d0c62efd.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	15369   Click image for larger version

Name:	600122001116-3.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	15370  
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 12:04 AM

New York strip steak is a cut of beef which is known by a variety of other names, including shell steak, Kansas city steak, top loin steak, hotel cut steak, and ambassador steak. This cut of meat is particularly prized for its flavour and tenderness, and it tends to fetch a high price on the market. Many butchers carry New York strip steak, and it is a common offering on restaurant menus. Many people like this cut of meat rare (not me), showcasing the delicate flavour and naturally tender texture. Have you tried Wagyu (Chinese Cow) Beef by any chance? That to me has to be the best meat ever and then some :thumbup:
Excellent answer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 05:51 AM

Have you tried Wagyu (Chinese Cow) Beef by any chance? That to me has to be the best meat ever and then some :thumbup:
I think they were actually a Japanese breed but Wagyu is grown here and is very popular to the point that even hamburgers and pies are made from it. You can buy Wagyu steak in just about every club in the country.

Maccas introduced a Wagyu burger - described as "too expensive and tasting like cardboard" but that's Maccas for you.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fo...6ea4ea0f6ebc9a

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top