Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

05-05-2021, 05:44 PM

Re: Withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan

Originally Posted by Judd ->
That's the trouble. They won't. Very shortly after any `peace-keeping` force leaves, the Taliban will once again hold sway and create a Muslim country which subjugates women and keeps everyone in check by using violence to those who don't agree with their version of Islam.
so are you suggesting that the 'good old pony rider west' in many guises should be the ;peace-keeping ' forces around the world for ever? So how about starting in say China and then Myanmar - don't see any movement there. I don't necessary disagree with you but I am raising the question is 'peace- keeping a role for the liberated west for ever more and who then bears the financial cost? this could get bigger than ben hur?

and to continue with the list - how about North Korea ; Philippines were drug users are being shot on the streets by the president himself - and then some of the east european countries where they are having large protests to unseat despot leaders that have been there for years - or are we just cherry picking to ease our consciouses?

there seems to be several ideological themes here:
1. the west is always best
2. christianity is always better than Islam
3. Democracy is always the best - well Trump put a stop to that for awhile?

we often feel closeted in our comfortable little homes believing that our right is might and everybody elses is wrong - we need to stop and debate this one
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

10-05-2021, 04:19 AM

As has been expected the taliban who threatened attacked the retreating troops are starting on civilians in Kabul. The crowds are saying that no on is protecting them but haven't called out for troops to remain yet -I am sure there are all sorts of diplomatic discussions taking place on muted phones.

there is no love lost by me for the taliban they are murderous thugs and will injure children as well with no remorse. should Afghan stand up to them alone and control them - I doubt if they could do it so if the Russians couldn't neither the yanks with the ozzies etc then all I could suggest from a humanitarian viewpoint would be a UN peace keeping force?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 10:20 AM

Hi

A UN Peace Keeping Force would simply be attacked.

They are also very restricted by their rules of engagement, they just looked on whilst genocide was carried out in the Balkans.

I also think you misunderstand why western forces are there.

Not there for peacekeeping, they are there to protect the west.

Afghanistan was providing a base for attacks on the West by Radical Muslims.

It is better to fight them there than here.

Military action is not always the most sensible response to Human Rights abuses.

North Korea, we invade it, millions die in South Korea, they have nukes.

Attacking China just would be stupid, tens of millions would die, they would retaliate, nothing would be gained.

Far more effective to take financial sanctions against them.

The World is not black and white, it really is 50 shades of grey.

In any military action there are civilian casualties and the politicians, who are the problem, are protected.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
As has been expected the taliban who threatened attacked the retreating troops are starting on civilians in Kabul. The crowds are saying that no on is protecting them but haven't called out for troops to remain yet -I am sure there are all sorts of diplomatic discussions taking place on muted phones.

there is no love lost by me for the taliban they are murderous thugs and will injure children as well with no remorse. should Afghan stand up to them alone and control them - I doubt if they could do it so if the Russians couldn't neither the yanks with the ozzies etc then all I could suggest from a humanitarian viewpoint would be a UN peace keeping force?
Ever since the days of the Raj, westerners have attempted to control or liberate the Afghanis: the British Empire couldn't do it, the Russians couldn't do it, even the Americans couldn't do it.

What makes you think that a UN peacekeeping force could do it?

Afghanistan is the arse end of the world and I can't imagine anyone would possible want to get involved in the place.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 11:23 AM

I have been tthrough Afghanistan on the way from UK to India and found it a fascinating place, so much history, I even saw the massive Buddhas before they were destroyed.

While I was in Kabul there was a gathering of tribes (no idea why) many of them were armed with flintlock and similar rifles, probably worth a fortune to any museum.

As for the war, Australia stayed too long with no clear purpose in mind but thank goodness it is time to leave. No doubt the Taliban will take control of the south (no one controls the north except the local warlords) and the west will do deals with them and buy their excellent hash. Fortunately the Taliban is the enemy of Isis so that is to the west's advantage, we can probably work with them as we did when the Russians invaded.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 12:32 PM

Much of Afghanistan is an active earthquake zone. Best solution to Afghanistan would (will?) be a series of massive earthquakes that will eliminate the whole population man, woman, and child.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by bret ->
so are you suggesting that the 'good old pony rider west' in many guises should be the ;peace-keeping ' forces around the world for ever? So how about starting in say China and then Myanmar - don't see any movement there. I don't necessary disagree with you but I am raising the question is 'peace- keeping a role for the liberated west for ever more and who then bears the financial cost? this could get bigger than ben hur?

and to continue with the list - how about North Korea ; Philippines were drug users are being shot on the streets by the president himself - and then some of the east european countries where they are having large protests to unseat despot leaders that have been there for years - or are we just cherry picking to ease our consciouses?

there seems to be several ideological themes here:
1. the west is always best
2. christianity is always better than Islam
3. Democracy is always the best - well Trump put a stop to that for awhile?

we often feel closeted in our comfortable little homes believing that our right is might and everybody elses is wrong - we need to stop and debate this one
I don't see me advocating leaving a peace-keeping force behind anywhere in my post. Was merely commenting on what will happen as soon as they leave. Already a bomb has been set off causing dozens of deaths - mainly schoolgirls.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...-school-blasts

The Taliban have denied responsibility in this case.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 01:22 PM

I have absolutely no interest in Afghanistan or their bickerings. let them sort out their own problems , we have no reason to be involved. I get absolutely sick about squabbles between countries , if they want to kill each other then let them
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 02:03 PM

Politicians prefer short winnable wars, it does a lot for their popularity, Military leaders like an clearly defined identifiable enemy with clear defined ‘front lines’
Where they can employ ‘force’ destroy the enemy and occupy their ground.
Current operations do not allow this, I think the last ‘winnable’ war that filled the criteria was the Falklands.
Wars are now asymmetric.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Much of Afghanistan is an active earthquake zone. Best solution to Afghanistan would (will?) be a series of massive earthquakes that will eliminate the whole population man, woman, and child.
I have experienced three earthquakes in my life.

One in Sydney I slept through, one in Iran was quick and not too violent but the one in Kabul sent my companion and I down three flights of stairs at high speed and into the street, it was quite scary. It was a mud brick hotel and the mud was pinging off the walls it seemed to go on for ever but was probably less than a minute and actually seemed to cause little damage.

Personally I expect Afghanistan will quietly be forgotten once the western troops leave, no need to wish them any harm.

Travelling through the Khyber Pass was an experience I will treasure for ever, how many people get to do that?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top