Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 10:46 AM

Re: Oh Dear! The local Doctor Surgery!

The rules have changed bret and anyone should be allowed to register with a GP outside their area or online. GPs don't have to take part though. So the practice you want might say no. The problem is that so many doctors are retiring or plan to retire. The pandemic has made life very difficult for practices plus so many are vaccinating now so of course it's going to be hard work getting an appointment. Some of these people are working all hours.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/gps/...ide-your-area/
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 09:57 AM

Two interesting items, in the DT, toady.

1) That the GP practices should (will) never return to the way they were run pre Plague.

They will operate, more & more, on zoom type interactions!

2) Most of the incoming letters, to the DT, on that subject, are describing how the system is falling apart as a result of the above "closed shops".

This is becoming, ever more , like the Smart Motorway safety debate.

i.e. On the one hand, it saves ongoing investment, on the other hand, people are Dying because of it.

And which argument is winning?

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

1) That the GP practices should (will) never return to the way they were run pre Plague.

2) Most of the incoming letters, to the DT, on that subject, are describing how the system is falling apart as a result of the above "closed shops".

i.e. On the one hand, it saves ongoing investment, on the other hand, people are Dying because of it.

Ted, I read about this too. The article I saw said it is NHS England who dictates Standing Opererating Procedure, and that GP's would be breaking their contract if they returned to their previous pattern of working.
They have been told they can't go back to how things were unless the waiting room can be socially distanced, and many have small waiting rooms where this could not be arranged.
PLUS, the consulting room would have to be cleaned after each patient!

In my paper it said about a poor woman who had undiagnosed cancer because of this stupid system. Her pain got worse and worse and still she couldn't get past the old bat on reception to book a face to face appt. By the time she was seen, it was too late. The cancer had spread to her brain and she died. She was 69.
If I was her husband I would want to sue for such neglect.

I think it worse than disgraceful! As you say, people will/are dying because of these stupid rules.
And what happens with people who don't have a computer, how are they supposed to 'zoom' anyone.
My surgery asked me to do that some time ago, and I told them I am not a 15 yr old technical geek and don't have a clue how to 'zoom.'

They are not even checking BP readings either. That is why they are expecting patients to buy their own monitor now.
Again, how many elderly patients would know what to buy, or how to use it even if they did have one?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by bret ->
yes but Bruce can you imagine the absolute chaos in a country of 65 million approx all changing doctors when they felt like - the NHS would collapse?
Plus we have to accommodate all the foreigners first.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 08:15 PM

You might want to read the recent white paper on the NHS - perhaps someone could translate this? Kings fund have tried but I still don't understand what this will achieve for individual patients.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publica...aper-explained

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...l-html-version

Finally see the last section of the BMA article on the 2021/22 gp contract linked below = Core digital offer :

https://www.bma.org.uk/pay-and-contr...england-202122
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-05-2021, 08:17 PM

Everyone should be interested in this legislation and what the BMA publishes on updates to GP contract terms. Many have been discussing the need for reduced bureaucracy in the NHS. The White paper promises this. We are now seeing what this means for services. It means a move towards greater digitalisation. Three cheers for Boris! Hip hip!!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-05-2021, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Plus we have to accommodate all the foreigners first.
You think foreigners find a digital or phone consultation easy?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You think foreigners find a digital or phone consultation easy?
Probably !!
They can converse in their home language !!

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-05-2021, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Probably !!
They can converse in their home language !!

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
of everything I posted this is the most interesting? Then you complain about the GP.....?!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

When it was decided that vaccinations were our best option, GP's made a huge fuss saying there was no way they'd be able to cope with vaccinating their patients. Not enough staff; not enough space etc etc etc.

SO - the government set up the vaccination hubs to takeover the majority of vaccinations......... BUT........when the doctors were offered £18 per patient per vaccination, they suddenly upped their game and decided they could cope!! So that's one reason why they're busy. BUT because the vaccination programme is going so well, the doctors are now being encouraged to be proper doctors again and return their services to pre-Covid!

Suggest you write a brief letter explaining the situation and hand deliver it to your surgery, marked URGENT!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top