Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 12:17 AM

Magnesium?

I just thought I'd post about this because I was wondering whether anyone else here takes magnesium and whether you have noticed any health benefits.

I am asking because as some of you might know I had a very bad reaction to the vaccine. It led to problems with my ligaments & muscles. Now these were not new problems - they may have been caused by the after effects of having a mild covid infection a year ago. But they became much much worse after the vaccine.

The biggest problem was with an old achilles tendon injury flaring up, then not healing and not healing and not healing (to the power of nth).... This happened before the vaccine but it got far worse after. I could not even touch one side of the tendon or if the side of a shoe touched it - ouch. There was a very painful spot that just would not heal. I was having to wear a night splint and in the mornings was limping like a cripple. No massage, ice compression etc worked.

So like all normal people I started googling. Magnesium kept coming up so I thought why not give it a try. Within two to three days it was HEALING!! I was astounded. When I stopped for a couple of days it started to get sore again. So I have carried on and I can walk, not only can I walk but other painful muscles post-vaccine and before have become more flexible. I've also noticed other benefits such as less aches and pains in general, more energy, improved gum health and I am sure improvements in cognition and mood.

It's fascinating how a simple supplement can do this, but also interesting as to why I'd be deficient. Nothing in tests indicates any problems, kidneys are fine. Is it a covid thing? Is it a vaccine thing? Is it just age? Biologically I'm not that old. I was really fit before the covid thing last year and I haven't any diagnosed underlying conditions.

Anyway I'm just really grateful that a simple vitamin tablet has made such a difference to my ability to do basic tasks such as hoovering or housework or walking down the stairs. Things we all take for granted until they suddenly create a block to normality. Apparently if you have kidney problems you have to be careful, take a lower dose and have blood tests to check kidney function.

Reading the spiel it appears magnesium also regulates blood pressure and improves the airways. It can even help an irregular heartbeat.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

20-05-2021, 01:30 AM

Re: Magnesium?

yes have used it and must start again - used to get painful muscle spasm on rising each day and magnesium fixed it - thanks for the reminder!!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 02:01 AM

Wow, Annie, that is such good news, and most interesting!

My son, who is on a muscle-building program takes it to support that effort and believes it helps him with muscle inflammation.

I really am pleased that you have some relief! Let us know whether or not you continue to experience benefits.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 08:32 AM

That sounds great, Annie and I'm so glad its helping you. I haven't tried it, but now I might just get some to see. I have had joint/muscle pain since the start of lockdown - and it eases off with exercise, but I still get sore after. I'll get some today and see how I get on with it.
peripheral
GB
peripheral is male  peripheral has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 09:23 AM

Thank you so much for the info Annie. I will most certainly give it a try.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 09:39 AM

I take Magnesium Taurate on the recommendation of a cardiologist.
A deficiency of magnesium can contribute to heart problems , some of us don't get enough in our diet so I take half the recommended daily dose to top up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 10:29 AM

That's interesting Annie, and really good. I am glad it is helping you so much.

I understand there are different strength capsules, so which one works for you, please?
Also, is it just magnesium alone or a calcium/magnesium supplement?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's interesting Annie, and really good. I am glad it is helping you so much.

I understand there are different strength capsules, so which one works for you, please?
Also, is it just magnesium alone or a calcium/magnesium supplement?
Hi Mups I just take a sainsbury's own brand. 375mg combined with B6 14mg. The doctor mentioned that for anyone who has kidney problems it should be no higher than 200mg. I think that's the only caveat.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 06:40 PM

I used to use the magnesium spray when my anxiety was high. The beauty of the magnesium spray is that it only lets you absorb the amount your body needs. It did my anxiety good and it also can aid sleep.

So glad to hear you feel better Annie xx
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 10:04 PM

Ten foods that contain magnesium, I must admit that apart from fish there is not much else on that list that I eat on a regular basis....
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_6

What on earth is a 'Legume'.....?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top