Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 01:48 PM

The Skip has arrived.

Hi

I ordered it for next Monday, not for today, at least I have got one.

A change of plan, may have to get people in to fill it this week instead of next.

I have given up with the heavy clay, digging out and replanting with a mixture of compost and perlite.

I have 300 litres of perlite and 1200 litres of compost.

That is a lot of heavy clay to dig out and move.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 01:53 PM

Re: The Skip has arrived.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I ordered it for next Monday, not for today, at least I have got one.

A change of plan, may have to get people in to fill it this week instead of next.

I have given up with the heavy clay, digging out and replanting with a mixture of compost and perlite.

I have 300 litres of perlite and 1200 litres of compost.

That is a lot of heavy clay to dig out and move.
For SOMEONE ELSE.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 02:00 PM

You would have been better to improve the clay soil rather than replace it with compost! A mixture of compost and grit dug into the soil would eventually give a very fertile mix, but compost and perlite alone will have no body and will soon lose it's limited fertility....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
You would have been better to improve the clay soil rather than replace it with compost! A mixture of compost and grit dug into the soil would eventually give a very fertile mix, but compost and perlite alone will have no body and will soon lose it's limited fertility....
Hi

Yep, it is a quick fix, but better than what I have.

My raised beds have worked out well, using the same mixture and I add fertiliser to them. Fish, Blood and Bone

My problem is waterlogging and I am hoping that this will help.

Long term is not really relevant in my case.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 02:23 PM

Sounds like a helluva lot of hard work SF..I too have clay soil but just mix
compost with it when planting shrubs and hope for the best..usually ok...Most of My flowering plants are in pots though...don't even try digging it Yourself.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-05-2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
For SOMEONE ELSE.
Hi

Exactly.

I will do some myself of course, but very little.

Good Exercise though.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yep, it is a quick fix, but better than what I have.

My raised beds have worked out well, using the same mixture and I add fertiliser to them. Fish, Blood and Bone

My problem is waterlogging and I am hoping that this will help.

Long term is not really relevant in my case.
OK I'm confused now, as you have raised beds then what are you excavating?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-05-2021, 03:13 PM

OK I'm confused now, as you have raised beds then what are you excavating?
Hi

I have raised beds for my veg, the bottom third of the garden.

The middle third has been gravelled mostly with plants in pots and the patio and outside dining area.

It is the top bit of the garden which needs doing.

The grass lawn and flowerbeds.

I like my flower beds, so there we go.

It is enough to fill a 4 cubic metre skip with the other things I need to get rid of.

I also have a small courtyard area behind the kitchen, which after seeing Paulines photos, I do need to redo.

I am in a hurry, I want to relax this summer, that is if we get one.

I also want to do a little bit of travelling and fishing.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

24-05-2021, 04:34 PM

Sounds a big garden Swims, no wonder you need some help. Hope it all works out but to hell with the garden and make sure you get some fishing in when the weather let's you.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-05-2021, 04:48 PM

Sounds a big garden Swims, no wonder you need some help. Hope it all works out but to hell with the garden and make sure you get some fishing in when the weather let's you.
Hi

It is 32 metres long 7 metres wide.

The front garden is much smaller.

I will be out fishing as soon as I can, cannot walk far but know plenty of places to go.

The garden is a big thing for me Barry, a nice place to sit out in the morning, I love growing my own veg and herbs and the polytunnel is great on wet days.

Getting things from front to back is a problem.

Far better to ask next door to do it, they just remove a fence panel and barrow it through.

I have converted my side passage to a storage room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top