Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:35 AM

Re: This beats everything!!

We have one too... blood pressure is a silent killer so they say so its reassuring to check it regularly and very convenient at home. So far mine is OK fingers crossed it stays that way. I think it cost about £20 worth it I think
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
If the reading is high then go to the doctor's! It is surely a waste of both yours and the doctor's time to go there just to check it regardless, if you could easily do it in a few minutes yourself at home?
Yes I see that Barry but Tony is going for other issues too.
The way I see it is: The doctor takes your blood pressure once & if it's high he puts you on medications.

So why do you have to keep checking it? Surely the medications are keeping it level?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:41 AM

For me, anything you can monitor at home without bothering the doctors is a good thing, and it's not as though the cost is prohibitive?
Besides, how do you know the meds are working without a check now and then?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
And buying a blood pressure monitor to save them time, is not really a professional thing to admit to a patient, in my opinion.

That was what I thought when she mentioned it.

Not professional at all!!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
That was what I thought when she mentioned it.

Not professional at all!!
But eminently sensible with the pressure on doctor's time these days?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Yes I see that Barry but Tony is going for other issues too.
The way I see it is: The doctor takes your blood pressure once & if it's high he puts you on medications.

So why do you have to keep checking it? Surely the medications are keeping it level?
They certainly should not put anyone on medication after only one reading. The blood pressure fluctuates so much each day. It is only after a continuous high reading over a length of time that medication should be offered.

I have one and I bought my dad one and I told him to keep a once daily record of his readings for me to keep an eye on it.
So far so good and no extra bp medsxare needed .

Buy one carol they are worth their weight in gold. I think we are responsible for our own health to be honest.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:52 AM

It could have been said in such a way that the patient is made to feel they are taking control of themselves though...

"It might be a good idea for you to keep an eye on your blood pressure, by purchasing a monitor, and this way you can alert us if the reading are above such-and- such"

for example.

Not "Can you just buy a monitor because we don't have time to check these things"
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

23-05-2021, 09:55 AM

I wasn't keen on the idea of home monitoring but I can see the sense of it.

I might consider buying one after reading the opinions on here..
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
We don't though...we have been used to free national healthcare with a personal face to face service, and now its all changing for the worst - to be like those countries you mention, it looks like. This is my objection - I don't mind paying an extra pound or whatever on my N.I if it helps the NHS return to normal. And buying a blood pressure monitor to save them time, is not really a professional thing to admit to a patient, in my opinion.
We have only had this since 1948 .
Yes I agree the nurse was tactless and they often are .
I was send to the nurse by the doctor to redo a dressing.
She told me testily she was seeing me in her tea break!
As she was very overweight I was sorely tempted to say a break from the tea and bikkies might be a good thing .
Wisely I kept schumn .
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 09:58 AM

It's long been the Practice Nurses who have done the blood tests, around here!

So no Doctor's time is saved.

But, last year they installed a do it yourself device (where you just stick your arm through a machine and it gives your reading), in the waiting room.

That device stands idle, now & the nurses appear to be gone.

The waiting room is only used for Vaccing now.

I took the option, of buying the device, and have the new hassle of trying to pass the info gained to the surgery!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top