Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 01:44 PM

Electric car repairs, a warning on the cost …

After seeing about this on Rip-off Britain recently I thought it might be of interest to members on here who haven't seen it, so here it is.

This concerns the extremely expensive cost of repairs and the seeming lack of mechanics trained in this aspect, apparently there are only 5% of mechanics trained in this. To save wading through all the 'chat' this is about 23:00 into this BBC iPlayer video:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ive-episode-10
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 02:08 PM

Re: Electric car repairs, a warning on the cost …

I am not suprised, I did say about the cost alone of a new battery before
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I am not suprised, I did say about the cost alone of a new battery before
What with the extra cost of buying an electric car, then the cost of home charging points, the batteries and now repairs, I reckon owning a car in the future is going to be outside of the means of many people. Especially when the problem for the driver in this video was probably the result of hitting a pothole. With the appalling condition of some of our roads now, that comes as no real surprise, as any motorist will know!

I was astounded when the cost of replacing the Cruise Control camera on my VW Golf was quoted at £1,400, if it was in fact required, after being damaged by a careless pheasant. The eventual repair, recalibration plus a new bracket still came out at nearly £500 so I claimed on my insurance.

Perhaps this is going to be the future way with electric cars, insuring against the cost of fixing what used to be affordable breakdown problems?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 02:50 PM

I hate to think then how much it would cost to replace the 5 cameras on my car. There are 2 at the front- one on each wing mirror and one at the rear
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 03:33 PM

No surprises there and it will be a long time before the UK in general is geared up for every household to own at least on electric car. I looked into a single standard-charge point to be installed for a Tesla car on my own driveway and my complete electrical system will need to be upgraded with the strong possibility of a new cable feed in from the road due to our already committed electrical loading. I would need a spare 17.3Kw to standard charge a Tesla. 17,200 watts divided by 230 volts = 74.8 amps is a whole lot of current just for one house with a Tesla; now multiply that by who knows how many cars and our National Grid will become a super nova!
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I hate to think then how much it would cost to replace the 5 cameras on my car.
In that case, realspeed, I advise you not to think about it.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 08:04 PM

Hybrid cars are here to stay, regardless of what the government says because it is going to be impossible for car manufacturers to install charging points for every house and flat in the UK. and just how exactly are these charging points going to be kept safe from idiots intent on damaging them or intentionally shorting them out in the hope it causes more damage.

What I believe will happen is that all work places will be required to charging points and those with there own home garages and drive ways. People will be expected to use the hybrid one one and then charge it when at work and use the electric side when travelling back home.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Hybrid cars are here to stay, regardless of what the government says because it is going to be impossible for car manufacturers to install charging points for every house and flat in the UK. and just how exactly are these charging points going to be kept safe from idiots intent on damaging them or intentionally shorting them out in the hope it causes more damage.

What I believe will happen is that all work places will be required to charging points and those with there own home garages and drive ways. People will be expected to use the hybrid one one and then charge it when at work and use the electric side when travelling back home.
Have you been reading the tea leaves, Dodge?
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2021, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Have you been reading the tea leaves, Dodge?
No, I just read the news and if you have been reading the news, ALL of the UK's companies that run the electrical network in the UK sent a letter to the government stating that the UK does not have the infrastructure to handle a sudden increase in electricity demands. It has also been stated that for the UK to be able to handle a network of electric cars, the UK would need at least 6 new nuclear power stations which would take about 30 years to build.

Also, take a walk outside and visit your nearest high-street and urbanised area. Look at how close the houses and flats are to one another and then see how is it going to be possible to get charging points to each house and flat without the charging point being accessible to hooligans intent of doing them damage. When you do that, then you will see the points I make in my post have merit.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

23-05-2021, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
No, I just read the news
Now you're splitting hairs, Dodge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top