Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 08:19 AM

Re: Roberts Rambles 6

I've walked along the banks of the Don. I don't think we'll ever travel up that way again but we had some good walks with the friends we used to stay with.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by bret ->
loved seeing the Norman church OGF and reading about the history - have had a chequered career in church life myself - but to walk into such a long standing hallowed place and kneel and pray is for me an exalting experience - something holy - as if I have come a little closer!!

thanks OGF - and God bless you even without your needle and he will
Very nice post bret, even for me there something quite spiritual happening when I enter a place of prayer, I have great respect for those magnificent holy structures whether it be gothic church, Mosque or Synagogue.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Nice walk Foxy, two well presented Churches and not a Mob Insight.
I always try to avoid them Spitty....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-05-2021, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've walked along the banks of the Don. I don't think we'll ever travel up that way again but we had some good walks with the friends we used to stay with.
There is just something quite stimulating walking alongside water mart. At one time or another I've covered most of the length of the River Don from where it rises at Slaters Brook, Penistone all the way to where it discharges into the Ouse at Goole. I'm glad you enjoyed the walks mart...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:36 AM

My friend said it used to be very polluted but it has recovered now and has fish in it. Just been reading a bit on the Internet that says the same.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...-clean-1783321
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

25-05-2021, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
My friend said it used to be very polluted but it has recovered now and has fish in it. Just been reading a bit on the Internet that says the same.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...-clean-1783321
That's true mart, when I was a boy we used go down to the river with grappling hooks and pull out massive pieces of driftwood, one old fella made a living out of it, selling the wood to burn on the coal fires, he had it stacked up in his yard. The river stunk, and there must have been a rich cocktail of chemicals in there from the factories at Sheffield, nothing survived!

I can't remember the date but in Doncaster museum there was a massive Sturgeon several feet long that had been caught in the river down near the old International Harvesters factory, but that might have been before the river got so polluted.

So it was a complete surprise back in the 2000's as I was running over the bridge at Bramwith to see fishermen lining the bank... After making enquiries it seems that the river was now so clean that it was able to support several species of fish. Yorkshire Water and the Environment Agency have done a stirling job around here preventing flooding and cleaning up the waterways.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

25-05-2021, 01:25 PM

Good to see that happen.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 09:04 AM

When I lived in dear old Donny back in the sixties, the River Don was the second most polluted river in the country after the Thames.

My family were never tempted to walk alongside the Don. It took a long time for both rivers, and many others, for the waters to be clean enough to support wildlife.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top