Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 09:58 AM

ARC - eARC

If you buy the latest TV and it won't give reliable sound via an existing soundbar or home theatre system when connected via an HDMI lead, it's most likely because of an incompatibility problem. New TVs have the latest HDMI 2.1 standard (TV socket labelled 'eARC') and your existing AV receiver or soundbar is perhaps something less than that (socket labelled 'ARC').

While this won't affect a lot of people, it might affect those who want better sound than modern TV speakers give. Worth some research if/when new TV time comes and you want to run the sound via an existing soundbar or home theatre system.

Some AV receivers/soundbars are upgradable to HDMI 2.1 via a firmware update, which is carried out via a file on a USB stick or wi-fi (if the AV receiver has an Internet connection). However, my Onkyo HT-R494 can't be upgraded and has this sound dropout problem. I guess a new AV receiver is in prospect.

HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface.
ARC = Audio Return Channel.
eARC = enhanced Audio Return Channel.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 10:04 AM

Re: ARC - eARC

For as long as I can remember Sony TVs have had a sound problem related to Sky. There is a slight sound drop which goes up and down every few seconds. I don't notice it now but it was very annoying first of all.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 10:36 AM

The previous Panasonic TV was fine with the AV receiver. It's only since buying the new Samsung (with eARC) that there has been a problem. The findings above are written as a result of much reading and an e-mail or two here and there. Not an unheard of problem by all accounts.

Nice picture, shame about the sound.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
For as long as I can remember Sony TVs have had a sound problem related to Sky. There is a slight sound drop which goes up and down every few seconds. I don't notice it now but it was very annoying first of all.
Thanks for that information LD, that has probably answered an annoying problem with the volume on my Sony television.

I had never given something like that a thought even, it does only happen on ITV though, also I view programmes via a Sky box. I described that problem on another thread on OFF, one about annoying TV advertisements, see post #10 on the link below:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=75193
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Thanks for that information LD, that has probably answered an annoying problem with the volume on my Sony television.

I had never given something like that a thought even, it does only happen on ITV though, also I view programmes via a Sky box. I described that problem on another thread on OFF, one about annoying TV advertisements, see post #10 on the link below:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=75193

Yes, the ads are particularly noticeable for the variation in volume.
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 10:27 AM

Have you tried optical instead assuming both devices have that option. Optical connectors aren't all that expensive so long as you are careful where you get them.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

01-06-2021, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by digitalham ->
Have you tried optical instead assuming both devices have that option. Optical connectors aren't all that expensive so long as you are careful where you get them.
I have tried an optical cable and it does work. The trouble is it can't carry Dolby Atmos and audio at the same quality as HDMI. Also, when the TV is connected via HDMI, the AV amplifier's volume up/down, on/off and mute are controlled by the TV remote control via CEC. A pretty handy feature that doesn't work with an optical cable, although I do realise that an AV system can be controlled if the TV remote control is programable.

I've decided to put up with the occasional sound drop-out because of the convenience of using HDMI on ARC ..for now anyway.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 10:31 PM

in the morning, I am faced with four remote controls, this has to stop. One or other is getting ridiculous.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

02-06-2021, 11:43 AM

The Samsung TV came with two remote controls. One is a conventional-looking IR type. The other is Bluetooth. It has hardly any buttons on it but does all the necessary actions. Quite a clever arrangement really.

This handset controls everything, so the one that came with with the home theatre amplifier is tucked away somewhere, along with the TV IR remote control.

Only one handset hanging around on the arm of the chair.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top