Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

29-05-2021, 02:36 PM

Re: Old loo

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
pees with mint is nice.
they always make me!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by macywack ->
not growing peas in it?? great idea, love to upcycle
@ Macy...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie1944 ->
Have had mint growing in one for years, also have strawberries in an old bath.
I most often have strawberries sitting at the table.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 05:31 PM

Just took a photo of the plants growing in the poly-tunnel situated next to the old loo. Strawberries to the left and up the far end, tomatoes in their grow-bags on the right. All are doing OK.

Coming up out of the ground is anything that feels like it.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I most often have strawberries sitting at the table.
@ Mart

I like your poly-tunnel Mart, it’s the perfect size 👍
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2021, 09:49 AM

How did you make your poly tunnel Mart? it looks fab. Did you buy it at a garden centre?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2021, 09:51 AM

Oh and the loo feature is lovely too. Nice bit of recycling.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

30-05-2021, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
How did you make your poly tunnel Mart? it looks fab. Did you buy it at a garden centre?
It was an Ebay item Annie and cost £82.00. Good quality materials but it was necessary to modify it a bit.

The cover didn't have a support running along the top of the tunnel (front to back). It rained heavily one night and because of that, the cover dished in the middle between the arches and a whole lot of water gathered there. Enough to start weighing the structure down.

It was easy enough to fix with a length of old plastic tubing fixed to the tops of the arches so the cover couldn't sag and gather water. I think the manufacturer should have designed a top pole into the tunnel though.

I did wonder about putting the cistern on the old loo and filling that up with earth too. A few trailing plants maybe. I planted lavendar in the pan but it can't be seen because wildflowers have taken it over.

Edit: Just one other thing about the tunnel. I decided to brace it up with some bamboo canes around the sides and back. This is to stop it blowing around quite so much when it's windy. I did this because I'd seen the tunnel over at the allotment get damaged through too much blowing around in high winds.

bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

30-05-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Just took a photo of the plants growing in the poly-tunnel situated next to the old loo. Strawberries to the left and up the far end, tomatoes in their grow-bags on the right. All are doing OK.

Coming up out of the ground is anything that feels like it.

Hi mart what sort of temps do you get in the tunnel from month to month I assume they vary - do you measure at all? could be a nice sunning tent?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

30-05-2021, 01:31 PM

I haven't got a thermometer in there but its an idea to get one.

The temperature always felt warmer than outside during the chilly weather. Enough to keep the growing strawberries very happy anyway. The tunnel was kept zipped up all the time but it's open now the temperature has risen.

I have got a folding chair that I use in there for a sit down. It is a pleasant and warm place to be and I try and give good vibes towards the plants.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top