Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Crabby
New Member!
United Kingdom
Crabby is male 

01-06-2021, 11:35 AM

what kind of adhesive

hi folks, i wonder if any of you might know how i might replicate the adhesive used on post-it notes.. i require an adhesive that can be re-stuck repeatedly.. i was told there is a spray glue that photographers use for repositioning pictures, but i cant find it anywhere, all suggestions gratefully recieved. crabby
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 12:31 PM

Re: what kind of adhesive

Here you go,Crabby....

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Removable.../dp/B001GXFB4K
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 04:49 PM

When I worked as a paste up artist, almost all of us used Spraymount adhesive. Great in the fact that it can be repositioned but not so good on your lungs unless you have an extractor. Previous to Spraymount was CowGum which is spread on thinly, both sides, positioned, then cleaned up using a rubber made from the excess gum and resembling a giant bogey. I'm not even sure you can still get it tbh.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When I worked as a paste up artist, almost all of us used Spraymount adhesive. Great in the fact that it can be repositioned but not so good on your lungs unless you have an extractor. Previous to Spraymount was CowGum which is spread on thinly, both sides, positioned, then cleaned up using a rubber made from the excess gum and resembling a giant bogey. I'm not even sure you can still get it tbh.
Ahhh, now it makes sense!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 06:49 PM

I was in the same industry and doing the same work LD, using SprayMount. It was considered to be carcinogenic by the unions so we insisted on spray booths being installed for the safety of people using it. That was some 20 years' ago and it may be that the formula has been changed, I have been retired from the industry for the last 15 years so have no knowledge of it as it is nowadays.

It is still available so I have just found:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SprayMount-.../dp/B000J68HBO

Do be aware though of the possibility of damage to health. Before it had to be used with adequate ventilation or a spray booth and after working a shift, everything was covered with a fine film of SprayMount, wristwatches, glasses and probably our lungs too!
Crabby
New Member!
United Kingdom
Crabby is male 

01-06-2021, 08:32 PM

thanks for your help guys i have ordered both in the hope one works..
i will take care when using the spray....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Ahhh, now it makes sense!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-06-2021, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Crabby ->
thanks for your help guys i have ordered both in the hope one works..
i will take care when using the spray....
If you have trouble removing paper stuck down with Spraymount, a few drops of lighter fuel ( liquid, not the gas) will help. It can also be used to clean the area by adding a few drops to a tissue.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-06-2021, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I was in the same industry and doing the same work LD, using SprayMount. It was considered to be carcinogenic by the unions so we insisted on spray booths being installed for the safety of people using it. That was some 20 years' ago and it may be that the formula has been changed, I have been retired from the industry for the last 15 years so have no knowledge of it as it is nowadays.

It is still available so I have just found:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SprayMount-.../dp/B000J68HBO

Do be aware though of the possibility of damage to health. Before it had to be used with adequate ventilation or a spray booth and after working a shift, everything was covered with a fine film of SprayMount, wristwatches, glasses and probably our lungs too!

This is all bring back memories Baz. Remember pelting each other with Cowgum rubbers?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 06:19 PM

This is all bring back memories Baz. Remember pelting each other with Cowgum rubbers?
Yes, I recall many of the 'pranks' we got up to in those days. That particular trade must be one of the worst for anything like that! All good and mainly harmless fun though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top