Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 01:57 PM

Re: waterfall

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Always difficult to comment.

Everyone’s taste is different. We have a saying in Sweden that translates ”Taste is like your bottom - divided”.

Obviously impossible to get everything in in one shot but I would just pan in one directlon. I would have excluded the girl in close up at 53 seconds as well as the young man and just had a short sequence with the crowd so nobody could be easily identifiable.

It’s always hard to eliminate camera shake when you zoom in handheld. Have you considered using a monopod? Much easier to carry than a tripod and people won’t trip over it
Thank you for your comment
As regards to the girl making a video is not like taking a photo when you can pick and choose when to take the shot one has to try and avoid but not always possible. My monopod stayed at home as less to carry and customs may have xrayed it as a weapon. As for camera shake I have now got another camcorder as mentioned in another thread to help avoid this issue again
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Not really Mags, on a photographic site most on there are used to and do fine pick faults, and rightly so. I would prefer to get opinions from members on here that are more like the comments the general public would make.

So you are like a big fish in a little pond then, RS? (since we are talking about water....! )
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 02:06 PM

with only a few comment in it just goes to show the difference in just taking a photo and making a video. There is so much more to contend with as mentioned alread panning- zooming - people in shot- camera steadying let alone lighting conditions- sound - editing etc.

Mags with all due respect has aleady asked why post on here and not on a photographic site instead of a video making site, which goes to show there is a lot more need for understanding the difference. This is why I have suggested doing away with obsolite threads such as brexit and replace with something different .ie videos
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Well I have to disagree with LD, I'm afraid. In order to appreciate the sheer size of this waterfall, I really liked the long pan right and left. The close up of the waterfall was impressive as well - this is a real force of nature. The only thing I would say is try not to include so many people (unless they are family of course). But overall I liked it.
Everyone has different tastes, RS, remember to capture what you enjoy and forget about appealing to the majority, because it can't happen, as I'm sure you have experienced.
It's just that the camera has already panned one way so there is no reason to go back. The main point of a video should be shown at the outset (a bit like showing the best room first when selling a house) followed by the detail later.

Anyway,
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's just that the camera has already panned one way so there is no reason to go back. The main point of a video should be shown at the outset (a bit like showing the best room first when selling a house) followed by the detail later.

Anyway,
Oi you! Less less of the head bash! My hair looks good today and I don't want you ruining it! AND the waterfall is so vast, it needs a second back panning (see how technological I am?!) so there ya go.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-06-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Anyway,
Ah but if I had not panned back I would have missed that bird flying acrolss the waterfall (0.38 mins into video)

seems like the fade in/out works ok then so may well stay with that transmission between clips
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
with only a few comment in it just goes to show the difference in just taking a photo and making a video. There is so much more to contend with as mentioned alread panning- zooming - people in shot- camera steadying let alone lighting conditions- sound - editing etc.

Mags with all due respect has aleady asked why post on here and not on a photographic site instead of a video making site, which goes to show there is a lot more need for understanding the difference. This is why I have suggested doing away with obsolite threads such as brexit and replace with something different .ie videos
I mentioned it RS because I thought a specific Photography Site would be more likely to be able to advise you what you may be doing right or wrong.

By the way the Brexit threads are not obsolete, they are still used by members who signed in to them.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 11:33 AM

Realspeed,
I hope I don't come over as trying to teach my mother to suck eggs as I merely want to critique and maybe offer some help.

If ever you do this again, before you start shooting work out a storyboard in your mind's eye.......how you would want you viewer to see what you have to offer.

A static scene, either a still or video, it matters not, on which you can overtype an introduction.

Do not have the background noise of the waterfall - it is an assault on the ears.........far too loud and intrusive.

Follow that with one pan only and stop recording. Then pick parts of the scene and zoom/out or whatever to record the sheer volume and stop recording. Do this several times covering all you want to record.

Make sure, as you already have, to have people in the shot, just to give a scale to the immensity and might of the waterfall.

Post processing: Choose a piece of music that is in contrast to the visual content.........that will enhance the impact of the video.

Note the length of time the music is - try to aim for a length of music a little longer than the video.

Load up the music into the video editor, then load the introduction page, the panorama followed by the various scenes, zooms and the like.

Each section should have a 2 second transition, either a fade in/out or a page curl............don't just switch with no transition.

Now for some of the shots, especially the zooms, slow the video down so the viewer can see how nature behaves, and also to match the length of the music.

Now consider inserting some text giving the facts about Niagara Falls, to keep the interest high. Fade out the music if necessary toward the end of the video

Finally, insert a plain credits page, type in your credits and have the background noise of the falls to close the presentation.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

06-06-2021, 12:00 PM

That's really organised, PB! Sounds like it would have a nice flow to it (pardon the unintentional pun)
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 12:11 PM

Thank you PK. You could also include stills in the video and with the right transition it will become seamless.

There are different effects, such as the Ken Burns effect, that can be used as well, depending on the software you have.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top