Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 06:27 PM

Hygienist

I went to the Hygienist yesterday, what an experience that was, I have never experienced this ever before.

She had to numb my gums, as she was putting the gel on, my gums were so sensitive to it, then she injected all over my gums, I thought my airways were closing up, I couldn’t swallow, I had to sit up about 3 times through the experience, I don’t understand it, my only guess is, my gum recession has got worse,....stupid me, didn’t ask her why this was happening.

Yet, at the end of the procedure, there were no bleeding gums throughout,plus, she believes I will keep them until I die.

Phew!!...glad that is over,

£82 that cost me, apparently you can’t get it done on the NHS....does anyone know if this is true?

Sorry ,it was Wednesday I saw the Hygienist not yesterday.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 07:47 PM

Re: Hygienist

Looks to me as if she was using you as a target practise. Did she explain at the beginning what and why to give you the chance to say sod off
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 08:06 PM

It was about 6 or 7 years ago I somehow got myself booked in to see a 'Hygienist'.

40 odd quid to get my teeth cleaned professionally .... fair enough. But after 5 minutes, mouthful of machinery, they started talking about my next appointment, "are you free on Thursdays" plural. Blx to that. Just get it done. Grrrr.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 08:06 PM

I know a visit to the Hygienist can be more of a trial than the dentist. I used to hate it. I haven't been requested to visit since I turned 70 but this might be just that particular practice's policy. I'm not sure. Then again, I haven't been to the dentist since lockdown started.

I think a good way of avoiding the plaque that the hygienist chips away is to regularly use a plaque-removing mouthwash for a few minutes a day. Best at bedtime. This might save a bit of grief come dentist time anyway.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 08:22 PM

We go to the hygienist every six months. I have been doing so for at least the last 20 years .Not everyone needs too as not everyone builds up plaque on their teeth .But if you leave plaque the gums will recede and teeth become loose and eventually fall out.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I know a visit to the Hygienist can be more of a trial than the dentist. I used to hate it. I haven't been requested to visit since I turned 70 but this might be just that particular practice's policy. I'm not sure. Then again, I haven't been to the dentist since lockdown started.

I think a good way of avoiding the plaque that the hygienist chips away is to regularly use a plaque-removing mouthwash for a few minutes a day. Best at bedtime. This might save a bit of grief come dentist time anyway.

I can’t use that mouthwash stuff,mart, I have periodontal disease, my bottom teeth are the worst affected, they are well under control, as I see the Hygienist regular, i didn’t understand why I had such a bad reaction to the procedure, I’m seeing my dentist next month, so will ask her, I must say,it wasn’t the Hygienist fault, she was extremely efficient, fantastic job she did.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I went to the Hygienist yesterday, what an experience that was, I have never experienced this ever before.

She had to numb my gums, as she was putting the gel on, my gums were so sensitive to it, then she injected all over my gums, I thought my airways were closing up, I couldn’t swallow, I had to sit up about 3 times through the experience, I don’t understand it, my only guess is, my gum recession has got worse,....stupid me, didn’t ask her why this was happening.

Yet, at the end of the procedure, there were no bleeding gums throughout,plus, she believes I will keep them until I die.

Phew!!...glad that is over,

£82 that cost me, apparently you can’t get it done on the NHS....does anyone know if this is true?

Sorry ,it was Wednesday I saw the Hygienist not yesterday.
You still have to pay having it done on the NHS but it's a lot less money. The trouble is getting an NHS dentist in the first place.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

04-06-2021, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You still have to pay having it done on the NHS but it's a lot less money. The trouble is getting an NHS dentist in the first place.
No it’s not LD....this Hygienist is private, she just works for the NHS...I’ve been private, in the past ,the only cheap part on the NHS is the dentist. the Hygienist is the same price as any other practicing Hygienist in this area.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
No it’s not LD....this Hygienist is private, she just works for the NHS...I’ve been private, in the past ,the only cheap part on the NHS is the dentist. the Hygienist is the same price as any other practicing Hygienist in this area.
I seem to remember it costing around £38 but to be fair that was about seven years ago. All hell has broken loose since then. I am now private (not out of choice) and my dentist did it last time.

Anyway, we shouldn't complain. We wouldn't want our dentist driving around in anything less than a Range Rover would we.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

04-06-2021, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I seem to remember it costing around £38 but to be fair that was about seven years ago. All hell has broken loose since then. I am now private (not out of choice) and my dentist did it last time.

Anyway, we shouldn't complain. We wouldn't want our dentist driving around in anything less than a Range Rover would we.
Over 5 years I believe my dentist trained at uni, then there is on the job training, they did all of the hard work, then reap the benefits ( money) afterwards,....

Unfortunately at this NHS the dentists don’t seem to stay around for very long, the dental nurse was also telling me that,private patients usually look after their teeth better than NHS patients,....I wouldn’t fancy their job........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top