Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 08:40 AM

Upgrade still free

I'll be returning a laptop computer later today. A fairly old one with an i3 processor, 6GB of RAM and was running on Windows 7. It was a mess one way or another and I had the permission of the owner to wipe everything out and put Linux Mint on it.

Before doing that, I thought I'd see what happened if I upgraded it to Windows 10. The upgrade tool was downloaded from MS and the process started. I didn't expect the OS to activate but it surprisingly did. It can still be done even though the official free upgrade period ended years ago. Perhaps that shows how much Microsoft want to leave Windows 7 behind and get all Windows users onto W.10.

I never got as far as installing Linux Mint because the computer owner preferred that I left it with W.10. He already has it on a Desktop computer.

I know those here still on Windows 7 want stick with it but just saying how the free upgrade to Windows 10 option has never really been taken away. It's still a possibility.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:12 AM

Re: Upgrade still free

I thought W 10 wasn't good though? If it aint broke do not fix it!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I thought W 10 wasn't good though? If it aint broke do not fix it!
Windows 11 is due in the near future .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Windows 11 is due in the near future .....
Is that going to be any better? I love W7. Hope my pc lasts til W11 in that case.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Is that going to be any better? I love W7. Hope my pc lasts til W11 in that case.
Stay with what you like for as long as you can .....

Although if you buy a new PC it will be running W10 .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 12:14 PM

I think W.10 knocks spots off W.7 in most areas but not everyone finds the same. Stay with a system that you're comfortable with.

I was only surprised to see the free upgrade is still available. Maybe useful information to pass on.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 12:47 PM

I now have a new laptop with W10 installed as opposed to my old reconditioned one which had an upgrade. W10 doesn't give me any problems now but in some ways I still prefer W7. I think for the average user such as myself, there's far too much on W10 that never gets used. It's confusing because I can't be bothered to find out what it's all about. I hated the set up, yes it was easy but I was being asked to sign up to things that I had no knowledge of. It was relentless and unnecessary.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'll be returning a laptop computer later today. A fairly old one with an i3 processor, 6GB of RAM and was running on Windows 7. It was a mess one way or another and I had the permission of the owner to wipe everything out and put Linux Mint on it.

Before doing that, I thought I'd see what happened if I upgraded it to Windows 10. The upgrade tool was downloaded from MS and the process started. I didn't expect the OS to activate but it surprisingly did. It can still be done even though the official free upgrade period ended years ago. Perhaps that shows how much Microsoft want to leave Windows 7 behind and get all Windows users onto W.10.

I never got as far as installing Linux Mint because the computer owner preferred that I left it with W.10. He already has it on a Desktop computer.

I know those here still on Windows 7 want stick with it but just saying how the free upgrade to Windows 10 option has never really been taken away. It's still a possibility.
It will depend on how much free memory is available to upgrade, but for me the good old XP Pro took some beating. After all the NHS etc kerfuffle with incursions and M$ putting out some general updates to XP, my old DEL XP lappy has been running just fine.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 03:52 PM

I hear, on fairly good authority, that MS will "reveal" the next generation Windows package on the 24th June.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top