Join for free
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 09:39 PM

Blood Count

I have to have B12 injections every 3 months as I can't absorb vit B12 and I have to have blood tests every six months. I had my blood test on Monday early afternoon then Tuesday morning I received a call from the surgery to say I had to contact them. It turns out there is something wrong with my blood test. I asked what and she said your blood count is out and the nurse wants to repeat the test so I have to have another test in 10 days time.

I think blood count means white cells and red cells but I don't understand anything about it but I'm a bit worried that something is wrong with me. I was also amazed at how quick my results came back. It's also amazing how blood work can pick up on things.

Anyone know what blood count means?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 09:59 PM

Re: Blood Count

Unless you were told what the count was for, then I/we can only speculate. i.e was it a full count (FBC) or any of the others your doc may have requested. Unless you know for certain, it's best wait until you do know or you could be worrying unnecessarily.
Here is a NHS list of types of blood tests, so as you can see there are many, so my advice is to ring your doc and speak to him/her for advice.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:01 PM

Blood count is your blood test so maybe you have something slightly over. Likely nothing to worry about they are just double checking everyone because they are catching up.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Unless you were told what the count was for, then I/we can only speculate. i.e was it a full count (FBC) or any of the others your doc may have requested. Unless you know for certain, it's best wait until you do know or you could be worrying unnecessarily.
Here is a NHS list of types of blood tests, so as you can see there are many, so my advice is to ring your doc and speak to him/her for advice.
I had something over and they tested it again a couple of times and it went down. So no point in being alarmed by one result.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:10 PM

As other have already said, try not to worry Queenie, especially as you have regular blood tests anyway, so anything suspect would probably be spotted early. Maybe it is your B12 just playing up again.

Pity she didn't explain properly, and put your mind at rest.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:32 PM

LQ, Like you l also have Pernicious Anaemia and have to have Vitamin B12 injections.
Last week, l was called to have a routine blood test. At the appointment, l asked were they going to test if my B12 levels were ok?
The nurse said, ‘No’, that my Vitamin B12 levels should be ok as l have Vitamin B12 injections every three months.

In the past, l have been recalled as my my blood count was low, something like 9 when it should’ve been around 12 -15 ( I think?) l was given iron tablets, or Ferrous Sulphate tablets.

Try not to worry, they will prescribe something to get your iron levels up again.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:44 PM

Hi

You will be fine LQ.

If you are male and from Yorkshire a low Blood Count is dangerous, it means you have been spending Money, which is life threatening.

Just lay down and do not go out shopping with your friends.

It will soon pass.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
LQ, Like you l also have Pernicious Anaemia and have to have Vitamin B12 injections.
Last week, l was called to have a routine blood test. At the appointment, l asked were they going to test if my B12 levels were ok?
The nurse said, ‘No’, that my Vitamin B12 levels should be ok as l have Vitamin B12 injections every three months.

In the past, l have been recalled as my my blood count was low, something like 9 when it should’ve been around 12 -15 ( I think?) l was given iron tablets, or Ferrous Sulphate tablets.

Try not to worry, they will prescribe something to get your iron levels up again.
Thank you for this reassuring news arty x
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2021, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You will be fine LQ.

If you are male and from Yorkshire a low Blood Count is dangerous, it means you have been spending Money, which is life threatening.

Just lay down and do not go out shopping with your friends.

It will soon pass.
Oh dear, I've been out shopping today, I'm done for now

Thanks everyone by the way for your reassuring answers, yeah, I'm a born worrier, I worry if I've nowt to worry abart

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top