Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 02:48 PM

A whale of a time!

How about this for an occupational hazard, not one that is often heard about and not one I would like to face, but it happened in the US apparently!

"A US lobsterman has been describing how he escaped being swallowed by a humpback whale.

Michael Packard says he was diving when he ended up in the marine giant's mouth for about 30-40 seconds off Provincetown, Massachusetts.

The leviathan spat him out and Mr Packard was left with nothing more than a suspected dislocated knee.

Despite his wife's pleas to get another job, he has no plans of giving up a 40-year career diving off Cape Cod."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57450685

Also on another, alternative news channel if preferred:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-12/...le-in-cape-cod
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 02:53 PM

Re: A whale of a time!

WOW that's scary. I see the whales up here often, sometimes pluttering about in the harbour and often when I'm walking along the cliffs at Dunnet, then whole pods of them are in the waters just below me. Have some great photos since I got a new zoom lens.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 02:53 PM

"Oh my God, I'm in a whale's mouth and he's trying to swallow me" How surreal is that??!!

I'm glad he survived, but if he hadn't...I wonder what they would put on his death certificate?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
"Oh my God, I'm in a whale's mouth and he's trying to swallow me" How surreal is that??!!

I'm glad he survived, but if he hadn't...I wonder what they would put on his death certificate?
If he hadn't survived then who would have known anyway?
The verdict could just have been "believed lost at sea"!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
If he hadn't survived then who would have known anyway?
The verdict could just have been "believed lost at sea"!
True, yes...it would have been just that. But thankfully not! I hope he takes his wife's wishes on board now and stops diving!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 03:45 PM

Brave or foolish to jump into waters where these whale feed.

He thought he had been attacked by one of the great white sharks that swim in the area, so very lucky.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 03:55 PM

Here's another way of looking at it -

Is it possible the whale thought the human was in trouble?
Suppose that animal was trying to rescue the man, so 'lifted' him up and took him to the surface, then let him go?

Sound far fetched?
We hear of porpoises playing with humans, mother apes adopting other species babies, so will some lactating dogs too, so who knows. . . .

I like to think it was a good whale and if it really meant to eat him, it so easily would have done.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

12-06-2021, 03:55 PM

All he needs now is to get nipped in the backside from one of his lobsters Pretty sure he would get a new job if he couldn't sit down for a week or two!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
WOW that's scary. I see the whales up here often, sometimes pluttering about in the harbour and often when I'm walking along the cliffs at Dunnet, then whole pods of them are in the waters just below me. Have some great photos since I got a new zoom lens.

Wow. I'd really love to see some piccy's if you could please, Roxy?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

12-06-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Here's another way of looking at it -

Is it possible the whale thought the human was in trouble?
Suppose that animal was trying to rescue the man, so 'lifted' him up and took him to the surface, then let him go?

Sound far fetched?
We hear of porpoises playing with humans, mother apes adopting other babies, so will some lactating dogs, so who knows. . . .

I like to think it was a good whale and if it really meant to eat him, it so easily would have done.
Awww, Mups of course...thats another viewpoint nobody has thought of. I'm happy to go with that. Just like the Gorilla Harambe who got shot trying to help the wee boy fallen into his enclosure. I was upset for days after that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top