Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 09:18 PM

Kindle Paper-White

Didn't want to hijack Joy's thread, so thought I'd share my thoughts on the above named beastie.............

I was adamant that I'd never give up my books - for a Kindle - never!

But........

This was a prezzie from my ex in South Africa - (as you may gather, we're on totally amicable terms) - totally unexpected, but what an eye-opener. Not being tech-savvy, I'm amazed at the speed of downloads.

Now, for the 'sad' bit! I can knit and read at the same time, without having to weight down the pages of a book. Plus, they're cheaper to buy than the hard/softback version.

Hallelujah - I'm (almost) converted!

Gwyn
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 09:20 PM

Re: Kindle Paper-White

Welcome to the dark side Gwyn once a kindle owner books will never feel to be enough again
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 09:33 PM

I've so many books, Julie - most of them ones that I've had from the library and thought 'yes, I like that and I'll read it again' - and subsequently bought which, in general, I have.

But - I think I'm about to change.............!

Gwyn
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 11:16 PM

While on a coach trip a man sitting next to me was reading a book, a conversation struck up between us ,and i said he was one of a few people that was reading a paper back and not a Kindle ,he said he liked to feel the book in his hands and would not be buying a kindle.I wonder in a year or two if Proper paper books will be the norm again.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 11:56 PM

It's quite possible to have both. I sometimes read on my e-reader and sometimes "real" books because some of the books I want to read aren't available as e-books - I tend to find authors I've missed in the past (who were not best sellers) and have never been transferred to e-books.

I always use my e-reader when travelling when it's a great benefit to not lug heavy books around. I tend to think paper books will always be around to some extent (the paperless office didn't happen) but the balance will shift with future generations.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 08:49 AM

I rarely pick up a real book these days, my kindle I don't need to find my reading glasses, can read in the dark and fits in my hand bag.

Paper book I have to go and find my glasses (usually by the freezer where I have been trying to see to weigh my food portions Lol )put the light on in the middle of the night (not popular with my husband) and carry a separate bag with my book which raises my bosses suspicions that I may just be going to take a break at some point and what he doesn't know won't hurt him I always say
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 10:28 AM

Haven't read a book in ages as they are painful to hold but, I have just received me kindle, so hopefully I will now be alright .......
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 11:30 AM

I have had a book reader for years after saying I would not get one because I love reading a proper book.

Now I have both, I still love going round a book store. But I do check to make sure that it is not going to be cheaper on my ereader. Do have to save the pennies.

Sorry to say my local charity shops don't get as many books from me now.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Haven't read a book in ages as they are painful to hold but, I have just received me kindle, so hopefully I will now be alright .......
Hope you enjoy it, Patsy! do you know about the Kindle daily deals for 99p? Just noticed today they have biographies including a book on JFK which you might like.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
It's quite possible to have both. I sometimes read on my e-reader and sometimes "real" books because some of the books I want to read aren't available as e-books - I tend to find authors I've missed in the past (who were not best sellers) and have never been transferred to e-books.

I always use my e-reader when travelling when it's a great benefit to not lug heavy books around. I tend to think paper books will always be around to some extent (the paperless office didn't happen) but the balance will shift with future generations.
Much the same for me. I use my Kindle for travelling, but I still like to read "real" books. If I really really like a book, chances are I will get/keep a "real" copy of it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top