Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Re: Kindle Paper-White

Originally Posted by Patsy ->

Do you know if it is necessary to keep the wi-fi on when reading ......
No, switch it off and the battery will last much longer. You only need the wifi on when you are downloading books.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Thanks Ania .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Much the same for me. I use my Kindle for travelling, but I still like to read "real" books. If I really really like a book, chances are I will get/keep a "real" copy of it.
I am the opposite I have used my ereader as an excuse to get rid of as many books as possible. Books are just dust collectors really and getting rid of them is part of my decluttering.

The only books I am keeping are atlases, cookbooks and first editions. Having said all that as a hoarder for decades it is not a quick process, I still have hundreds of books but they are going.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 05:30 AM

Unfortunately Australia has copyright laws that prevent us from buying kindle books from the UK and the computer picks up where you are living and redirects you to amazon Australia which has only a small proportion of the books available in the UK and US and doesn't include Prime.

However, I have just discovered software that allows you to disguise your place of residence and I am about to see if it lets me buy via the UK site. It already lets us stream UK TV programs live to our tele.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Thats good !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 05:47 PM

When I first had my Kindle I downloaded all the Sherlock Holme's books - for FREE . Still a great read even though I had read them a few times already.

If you want to find books that are FREE on Amazon go to their Kindle Store / Kindle eBooks and do a search for 0 price eBooks - don't enter any price and then search, then sort by 'Price: Low to High.

Amazon Kindle eBooks Low To High
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
When I first had my Kindle I downloaded all the Sherlock Holme's books - for FREE . Still a great read even though I had read them a few times already.

If you want to find books that are FREE on Amazon go to their Kindle Store / Kindle eBooks and do a search for 0 price eBooks - don't enter any price and then search, then sort by 'Price: Low to High.
If you use an ebook manager/converter like Calibre then you can break the tyranny of Amazon and get free ebooks from Gutenburg or even places like Adelaide University's Orwell collection. There are so many sources worldwide.

The only warning is NOT to use your ebook manager at the same time as Calibre because they both use the same ebook database (obviously) and together they can corrupt it. It is just a matter of using one or the other at any time.

Calibre also allows you to share non DRM books with friends easily.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 11:17 PM

It was a huge day in my life when my wife got her Kindle. Her holiday suitcase was primarily full of books and as I carried both her and my own case, my luggage load has been greatly reduced! Thank you Amazon!!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top