Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 07:45 PM

Ferguson 6CD Player..........

I have one of these which I was given about six months ago. It's behaved perfectly up to now, but has started to miss sections of the CD.

I'm worried that it may be harming the discs, as I've had to replace one of my Eric Clapton recordings, due to a scratch - perhaps just co-incidental.

I'm not techy savvy, but wondered if there's anything I can do. Problem of course is, that 'Ferguson' as such no longer exists.....

Any suggestions would be welcomed, as I'm aware that a new player would be somewhat expensive, but I do love listening to my music!

Gwyn
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 09:21 AM

Re: Ferguson 6CD Player..........

It's unlikely that the player can be repaired for less than the cost of a new one. These 'multi-play' contraptions are bound to fail - mine did and it was only a three CD unit. Depending on the quality of player you need, they aren't particularly expensive, but I would go for single-play for fewer problems in the future. Why not get one with an MP3 USB socket and transfer your precious CDs to a memory-stick? There's lots of new technology out there for not too much money.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Might be worth using a cleaning disk as dust and debris can build up on the laser, also check your disks as thumb-prints etc can affect there ability to play, a quick wipe may be all thats needed.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 10:04 AM

Thank you both for your help.

I think I'll try to find a cleaning disk first - the unit is seven years old, so it could well have grime on the laser.

If not, I'll have to haul myself into new technology !!

Gwyn
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 04:59 PM

I've yet to find any 'dirt' on a laser lens, and I've got a fair collection of disc- players. If used regularly, the spin of the disc keeps any dust on the move so it can't settle. I'm afraid these cleaners are mostly a ploy to clean some cash out of your wallet. It's usually the mechanism that fails - too much poor-quality plastic used in the operating machinery. Cleaning a greasy or scratched disc can sometimes be a cure - always worth a try. Also look for hairline diametric cracks - not common, but I've had a couple.
AliceB
Cheshire

14-08-2014, 08:34 PM

I do agree that multi-purpose gadgetry is prone to hiccups - I'd really rather have a simple system, but this has been so handy for me, not having to haul myself up when the CD's finished.

Thanks again TW - I'll give all the disks another good clean and see if that helps.....

Gwyn
2wheeler
Lincolnshire

15-08-2014, 07:42 AM

But - just think of all that valuable exercise you'll be getting changing those CDs! Good luck with your efforts.
down to earth
west yorkshire
down to earth is male  down to earth has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Get yourself along to your nearest branch of Richersounds the top uk supplier of all types a/v products they are " Which? " number one recommended.

Not heard of them ? I have been a customer for thirty years you will get the best unbiased advice.
AliceB
Cheshire

16-08-2014, 07:49 PM

DTE first - to be honest, I've never heard of Richersounds, but I see they have a website, so I'll have a peruse!

2Wheeler - cheek! I'm too idle for exercise ! Changing a CD involves getting the cat off my lap, untangling my knitting and persuading my legs to work after sitting down too long . No hope for me!
down to earth
west yorkshire
down to earth is male  down to earth has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=AliceB;520492]DTE first - to be honest, I've never heard of Richersounds, but I see they have a website, so I'll have a peruse!

Yes please do that and when you visit a branch dont forget to take a couple of your favourite cd's along to listen too.

If you have to pay for car parking and you make a purchase from them they will refund your parking charge, also they have the best value extended five year cover its ten percent of the purchase price of your unit and if you dont claim a repair you receive a full refund of the policy cost at the end of the cover.

Oh and I am not a share holder by the way just a very happy customer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top