Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Re: iMac problem

That's putting it mildly! Lol.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
It needs a new hard drive !
Disgusting. We bought it just 6 months before OH died, which makes it 3 and a half years old.
I'm sincerely hoping the data will be recovered by a recovery place but they won't get the hard drive until Tuesday now .... poooooooooooo
So sorry to hear that Rachel.

I've only just seen your post but, when I was in IT, anytime we came across this problem with a Mac at our customers sites it was always the Hard Drive.

Macs had a 75% failure rate the last I checked too - that was 2008 just before I got made redundant again!

stevmk2
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
So sorry to hear that Rachel.

I've only just seen your post but, when I was in IT, anytime we came across this problem with a Mac at our customers sites it was always the Hard Drive.

Macs had a 75% failure rate the last I checked too - that was 2008 just before I got made redundant again!

stevmk2
Ooooooer .. my late OH always had Macs (since the 1980s) and I don't remember there ever being a problem before this. I'm struggling with this PC thing and I'm already missing my Photoshop
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 03:46 PM

I wonder how the drive has failed? If just mechanically jammed, there is an extreme measure that may work. I remembered reading about it, so searched it out. Not saying to do it but highlight it for information purposes. If there is really nothing else to be done, perhaps people could have a read of this and give an opinion...

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ard-drive5.htm
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 05:15 PM

Blast .... there's an 'A' missing from the title of this thread.

We took it to an Apple shop. They diagnosed the hard drive was ****ed.
I contacted a recovery place they told me about and they will see about retrieving all, or any, of my data. It's going there by courier on Monday I think.

I'm missing Photoshop already
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 09:47 PM

I thought McDonalds had starting branching out in computers!!

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I thought McDonalds had starting branching out in computers!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 01:45 PM

Probably a bit late for you now, but Macs come with a brilliant back-up system called TimeMachine - you just need an external drive to use it, such as this tiny thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slim...rds=samsung+hd a massive 1TB for just £45
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2015, 04:32 AM

Rachel, being a Mac user the very next thing I bought after my I-Mac was a Back up Drive which I run via Time Machine. It constantly backs up everything on the external drive. Having lost a lot of pictures which I had on my previous computer which I had no back up for was a great loss. I hope they manage to retrive your data. Kindest Regards Tyrell
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2015, 08:35 AM

What a bummer. Just bad luck I guess. We have a Mac only household - two desktops, two iPads, two iPhones and two iPods and Apple TV. And despite the detractors on here we love them all and have had no trouble with any of them and my desktop is four years' old. I put extra memory in it earlier this year and it's as good as new. Ignore the anti-Apple crowd. They're just jealous of our good taste.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top