Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 11:43 AM

Re: dashcam

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Halfords can fit them for you for about 20/30quid, or you can buy a specific piggyback fuse holder that just fits in the existing fuse holder but has a take off for the dash cam
Those piggy back holders are good, I used one to fit a UHF 80ch CB radio in my car and they made powering the thing up a snip. I bought five off eBay for a few dollars.

My Isuzu Dmax manual doesn't even mention where the fuses are. It turns out they are behind one of the small drawer/holders things beside the steering. (you just pull it out and up, like most cars these days all these things just clip in)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Realspeed/JBR

Your dashcams wouldn't be suitable for me as I would most certainly not want to be carrying a digital camera around with me everywhere. Especially those the size of Nextbase units.

Also, the necessity to plug the unit back in everytime you get in the car, then power it up, then ensure that the unit is pointing in exactly the right direction, is just going to be a major hassle over time which will lead you, imo, to becoming lazy and just leaving the camera in the car instead.
Well, I have explained, and I'll say it again, that I find no hassle in removing and replacing my dashcam.

The way you describe 'plugging it back in', 'powering it up' and 'ensuring the unit is pointing in exactly the right direction' suggests a major technological procedure...

...which takes me all of ten seconds!

Perhaps you've never bothered to even try it!

Anyway, you do things your way and I'll do them my way.

You seem to be happy with your situation, and I assure you I am happy with mine.

I don't believe in making problems where none exist, but that's just me I suppose.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Fitted mine this morning, hardest bit was having to take out the glove box to get to the fuses behind
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2017, 07:48 PM

A further warning is in order in regard to Nextbase Dashcams. It seems some of them don't allow easy replacement of the rechargeable battery. In general I believe it is folly to buy ANY electrical rechargeable device that doesn't allow the battery to be swiftly swapped out. Any such device only has a life as long as that battery.

Also as I said before, if you intend to hard wire a dashcam then you should be taking out the batteries and replacing them with capacitors.

Here's a comment on www.dashcamtalk.com from someone responding to a poster whose battery failed after a year or so:

"I'm guessing you bought this from Halfords over a year ago, so the Warranty has expired?

It's tolerable if the battery of a £30 G1W fails after a year or so. It's not acceptable when the battery fails in a £130 Nextbase 402, & the critical final clip being recorded when external power is cut isn't saved.

Under UK Law, your rights don't end when the 1 Year Warranty expires...

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/20...ty-goods-back/

I think you're entitled to expect your DashCam to function for at least a couple of years. Exercise your rights.

Also, make a mental note to buy a capacitor-based dashcam next time... "
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2017, 08:58 PM

I hadn't realised that the Nextbase dashcams have an internal battery.

My existing one doesn't; I just plug in the power cable before use.

What purpose does the internal battery serve?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2017, 09:03 PM

Oh dear guess Realist is against Dashcams for some reason,and that is his right.
Me?.
There are reports on anything depending on having a good or bad experience, but I would not out and out against something if I had not tried/tested/used first

What is up with driving standards today?

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2017, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A further warning is in order in regard to Nextbase Dashcams. It seems some of them don't allow easy replacement of the rechargeable battery. In general I believe it is folly to buy ANY electrical rechargeable device that doesn't allow the battery to be swiftly swapped out. Any such device only has a life as long as that battery.
A sweeping statement and typical nonsense. Just because a battery is dead doesn't mean the device is dead. My old GPS has a nearly dead battery but plug it into the car power and it works just fine. The battery actually lasts about 5 to 10 minutes even in its exhausted state after being charged for a while. It is not my current GPS so is rarely used which does the battery no favours but it can be used by visitors.

It would be a similar for Dash Cams even a "dead" battery has a small amount of capacity left.

For those with any basic electronic knowledge just about any device can be dismantled and there are only a limited amount of battery types. However these devices are so cheap that they are probably just replaced when the battery dies.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

31-01-2017, 10:34 PM

From what I have read ,an internal battery is a backup, it does not stop a dashcam working . What a battery can do is ,depending on dashcam, record when Movement is in its field of vision when the main power source is switched off. This option is down to personal choice as to having the dashcam enabled or not to use this feature
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-01-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
What is up with driving standards today?

Unbelievable, isn't it? I see something like that every day.

What we need is more unmarked police cars, I reckon.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-01-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
From what I have read ,an internal battery is a backup, it does not stop a dashcam working . What a battery can do is ,depending on dashcam, record when Movement is in its field of vision when the main power source is switched off. This option is down to personal choice as to having the dashcam enabled or not to use this feature
Thanks.

If I want to record whilst the car is parked up, I can simply leave the power cord attached (I usually unplug it). That, of course, depends upon how long I am leaving it, although I can't imagine it flattening my car battery for a couple of hours.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top