Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:21 PM

Re: I just updated my anti-virus sw, and now....

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hang on a minute, I can't see it.

So where is it?

All I can see are dog and cat fora in the right hand margin.

Oh! Is the Russian women advert 'Dogsey.com' by any chance?
They show up in the gray bar at the top, under the "Welcome" sign, JBR.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:26 PM

Well, here we go!! Now I'm seeing ads for anti-virus software!!!!!

Plus ads for "dating sites" in Australia.

And, would you believe, also an ad for "hair extensions"??!!!!!!
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think the ads that appear here are not the choice of the site owner (Azz) but the result of allowing ads in general to appear.I've got a 'Disable JavaScript' extension instead and I use that. Then the site displays OK. Sorry to those sites for not letting ads show but I feel it's the safer option.
Yes, I think you're right there, Mart. What annoys me though is that up till now I never saw ads here. I hadn't set my AV to block ads, and I hadn't made any special settings in Windows. But as soon as I updated Avast, I started seeing every ad on the site.

Of course I never click on them, but obviously they can "read" me anyway, because now the "Russian" dating ads have changed to "Australian" dating ads, and I'm getting ads for anti-virus software.

Why they're showing me ads for bloody "hair extensions" I'll never know!!

I hate that intrusive pushy marketing garbage.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:32 PM

Now there's some boofhead with a goatee trying to sell me Superannuation lawyer services!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyC ->
Yeah, I've got Malwarebytes. Every time I run a scan with it, it finds absolutely nothing. That either means it's stopping malware before it gets in, or it can't find malware anyway. It does have a good rep, though, so it's probably alright.
Or it could mean that you are just being careful in your use of the internet and e-mails, and not allowing any malware to infest your computer.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:40 PM

Oh! Is the Russian women advert 'Dogsey.com' by any chance?
Don't be like that, JBR. Some Russian girls are very pretty.

(In fact, many are downright gorgeous)...
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:42 PM

Or it could mean that you are just being careful in your use of the internet and e-mails, and not allowing any malware to infest your computer.
Yes, I am a but paranoid about cyber junk, JBR. Hate it with a passion. I never click on anything unnecessarily.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyC ->
Just updated the anti-virus app, and now, for the first time, I'm getting ads for Russian girls dating services at this forum!

Bloody annoying!
Jimmy, you should set up a few things in order to get rid of all the ads and pop ups and to protect yourself.

First thing imo is to just disable JavaScript in the Internet Explorer options (assuming you are using IE). This will immediately eradicate most ads and pop ups and will make all the web pages you visit run incredibly faster.

Then you should block various websites in your internet settings (Security tab, Restricted Tab) and ideally block certain IP Addresses in your firewall.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Jimmy, you should set up a few things in order to get rid of all the ads and pop ups and to protect yourself.

First thing imo is to just disable JavaScript in the Internet Explorer options (assuming you are using IE). This will immediately eradicate most ads and pop ups and will make all the web pages you visit run incredibly faster.

Then you should block various websites in your internet settings (Security tab, Restricted Tab) and ideally block certain IP Addresses in your firewall.
Thanks, Realist. I have tried blocking googleads.net in the past but it didn't change things. Didn't think of disabling scripting, since it interferes with other, more desirable functions sometimes. But I'll have to do it.

After all, what you lose on the swings...
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
In addition to an Ad blocker, I also use Ghostery which blocks `trackers` - hidden links to other websites. Google analytics is one such tracker. Information from the website you are viewing is sent to Google analytic so they can target adverts based on your browsing history.
I've just added Ghostery. I like it, it does the job Privacy Fix used too, Why they discontinued that I don't know.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top