Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 06:09 PM

Re: my windows 10 apps have disappeared

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't know how long you've had W10, but I believe that within a certain time limit you can go back to what you had before: preferably W7 and not the W8 abortion.
Sadly you can't JBR once W7 has gone it's gone forwever
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 06:11 PM

That's another thing.

The infamous Windows Anniversary update, which is probably what you're talking about, Meg.

Not only did it take ages, but it also undid many of my settings too.

I do believe that, if MS are going to bring out a replacement for the perfectly good W7 (and the not very good W8), they should test it out thoroughly well before issuing it to the public and manufacturers, and not expect the aforesaid to find out all the bugs for them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I'm not surprised. It used to be possible, I know for a fact. However, in the knowledge that MS are as dictatorial as the EU, I suppose it was to be expected that they'd remove that 'safety belt' after a time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 06:13 PM

I think you can go back to W8.1 Muddy my sister's laptop upgraded to W 10, she must have accidentally clicked on the upgrade option , I nearly did .
She got her grandson to go back to 8.1.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 06:18 PM

I never had W8 Meg and I updated to W10 nearly a year now so I think I'm stuck with it now .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 06:26 PM

I never had W8 Meg and I updated to W10 nearly a year now so I think I'm stuck with it now .
Looks like it then Muddy
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

29-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That's interesting Ted, I only got my new laptop last week, I turned it on and it spent half the day downloading an upgrade something to do with BIOS. I was a bit surprised having expected everything to be more or less up to date on a new laptop, it took ages to install . It is a Dell, I always have Dell.
You really need to go onto the Dell website and look up your machine by it's number.

You might want to have a look here:-

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...update?lang=EN
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 09:20 PM

I'm not surprised. It used to be possible, I know for a fact. However, in the knowledge that MS are as dictatorial as the EU, I suppose it was to be expected that they'd remove that 'safety belt' after a time.
If a notebook was purchased with W7 installed, and running,
then I would expect the maintenance partition to have W7 in there.

If so, a factory reset would put the machine back to the way it left the shop.

Needless to say, it would be necessary to get all the data & Programs off, before doing this, as they would be lost.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

29-03-2017, 09:26 PM

That's another thing.

The infamous Windows Anniversary update, which is probably what you're talking about, Meg.

Not only did it take ages, but it also undid many of my settings too.

I do believe that, if MS are going to bring out a replacement for the perfectly good W7 (and the not very good W8), they should test it out thoroughly well before issuing it to the public and manufacturers, and not expect the aforesaid to find out all the bugs for them.
Hard to test software like that JBR, as they have a problem trying every pc, every laptop, every driver, every software package at every possible combination

It would take longer than Brexit!

What works (reasonably well) is running an "Insider Programme" and getting automatic feedback from the field as users take the level up.

I think you'll find that they all use that technique.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top