Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 10:56 AM

Indoor digital TV ariel.

Iam thinking the unthinkable to get a TV. My question is does anyone use an indoor ariel ?

If so are they very good ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 11:37 AM

Re: Indoor digital TV ariel.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Iam thinking the unthinkable to get a TV. My question is does anyone use an indoor ariel ?

If so are they very good ?

Your question very much depends on: (a) How close you are and whether you can see a television station broadcasting aerial booster station, (b) what other buildings are in your immediate vicinity that might interfere with your signal, (c) is the broadcasting station aerial likely to be blocked by geographical features or traffic passing along a road (Buses or high-sided vehicles) capable of temporarily blocking the signal???
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 02:11 PM

Hi Nom,I have cable from Virgin for My main tv...but a loft ariel for freeview for My bedroom one which can be a hit or miss for some channels..can be watching an interesting film/series and the bloody thing will just go all fuzzy or black out altogether
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 03:46 PM

I have a powered indoor aerial I got from Argos. I seem to pick up all the channels and have had no problems with it.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Hi Nom,I have cable from Virgin for My main tv...but a loft ariel for freeview for My bedroom one which can be a hit or miss for some channels..can be watching an interesting film/series and the bloody thing will just go all fuzzy or black out altogether
I'm similar.

Virgin Media comes in to two rooms, each with a VM box.

Aerial in the loft, for the digital, and that feeds into a Netgear powered multiway splitter to take it down and round the house.

The powered bit is there to give the signal a bit of a boost which is necessary, some of the time to get all of the channels.

If you ask me why I have both systems powered around the house, I'd have to say it's in case I fall out with VM such that they would cut the service.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I have a powered indoor aerial I got from Argos. I seem to pick up all the channels and have had no problems with it.
Thanks Ffosse, could you give us the name please, i can borrow a tv to test if i buy an ariel before going down the road of getting a tv and licence.

I cant have cable, and a new roof mounted ariel would be costly at the moment.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thanks Ffosse, could you give us the name please, i can borrow a tv to test if i buy an ariel before going down the road of getting a tv and licence.

I cant have cable, and a new roof mounted ariel would be costly at the moment.
This is the one I bought:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5437991

It works really well, you just have to make sure you have enough power sockets as this plugs into one.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

03-08-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
This is the one I bought:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5437991

It works really well, you just have to make sure you have enough power sockets as this plugs into one.
Thanks will look into that, they seem so cheap i did wonder at their effectiveness.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 06:03 PM

As a stop-gap, I got an indoor aerial from Amazon (my outdoor aerial had been removed after my chimney was taken down). It was fitted up high above the TV and gives a good picture but with the usual caveat that the picture wavered every time a car or bus went past. Funny thing is, it fell down and landed on the floor at the back of the TV and the picture has never been better

The aerial is flat, square and transparent so doesn't show up as much when attached to the wall.

Am fitting a new external aerial this weekend weather permitting.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Well that's that job sorted out. Installed a new digital aerial yesterday on a pole bolted to the wall of the house - no more fuzzy pictures

While I was at it, I relocated my incoming broadband connection to the back of the TV (new location of router) along with the new aerial lead and Ethernet running to my PC in the dining room/office. Can now plug my PVR, Blu-ray player and computer into different sockets on the route rather than the network switcher I was using before.

While I was under the floor, I noticed that it was very wet and further investigation showed that an elbow had come off the plastic waste-pipe from the bathroom wash-hand basin. Sorted that out too. All in all, a very productive day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top