Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 01:43 PM

Re: Harlow Carr gardens, Harrogate

Nice pics ST, haven’t been round the gardens for years, hope you had a coffee in Betty’s , the pics of the stones look like the Neolithic ones at bouroughbridge nearby, ( unless they were put there recently) ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 03:13 PM

I have often wanted to go there, Tabs.

It is the RHS place isn't it.
I believe they do a lot of trials there for growing different plants. It is often in my gardening magazine. I never knew it was that extensive though.

Smashing pics.
Glad you had such a nice day.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Nice pics ST, haven’t been round the gardens for years, hope you had a coffee in Betty’s , the pics of the stones look like the Neolithic ones at bouroughbridge nearby, ( unless they were put there recently) ...
I don't remember them being there the last time I visited, Primus. One of them has the name of the quarry on it but I was not able to go near enough to photograph it - lots of people about.

The ones at Boroughbridge were supposed to have been left there by the Devil - I think they are known as the Devils Arrows.

We did visit Betty's - never again - what a rip off. 1 x coffee, 2 x teas, and two 'fat rascals' ( a type of scone) came to £22:50p !

Next time I go - I will will take a picnic.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have often wanted to go there, Tabs.

It is the RHS place isn't it.
I believe they do a lot of trials there for growing different plants. It is often in my gardening magazine. I never knew it was that extensive though.

Smashing pics.
Glad you had such a nice day.
Yes Mups - it does belong to RHS and it is extensive. If you visit you need to wearing good walking shoes. There is so much more than I was able to photograph - a fairy village, a Japanese peace garden, a wonderful children's adventure park with tree houses and trails to follow, a lovely art gallery, lakeside walks, quiet areas, places to picnic, it goes on for miles and miles - and always a beautiful view or something interesting to look at.

Fortunately it is well supplied with seats/benches. Dogs are allowed if kept on leads, and they have mobility buggies and wheelchairs available if needed. Plenty of parking as well.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

11-11-2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Lovely photos ST, particularly like the carved oak tree!
It was really lovely - but I wish they had credited the sculptor.

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Wow! That looks like a super place Tabs! Excellent photos!
Originally Posted by Mags ->
Love the photos ST, what a lovely place to visit ... so much to see there.
Thank you - it is a wonderful place - at any time of year.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 05:59 PM

ST I have always wanted to go to RHS Harlow Carr I have seen it on Gardeners World and heard broadcasts from there for GQT on the radio. It looks a fascinating place.

It must have been a lovely day out, I would like to go in the spring.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 07:39 PM

Great pics Tabs... I love Harlow Carr
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I don't remember them being there the last time I visited, Primus. One of them has the name of the quarry on it but I was not able to go near enough to photograph it - lots of people about.

The ones at Boroughbridge were supposed to have been left there by the Devil - I think they are known as the Devils Arrows.

We did visit Betty's - never again - what a rip off. 1 x coffee, 2 x teas, and two 'fat rascals' ( a type of scone) came to £22:50p !

Next time I go - I will will take a picnic.
That's why locals never go to Bettys there is one in Ilkley and honest within about 100 paces there is the Little Tea House just as good but half the price but you still see long queues for Bettys
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Yes Mups - it does belong to RHS and it is extensive. If you visit you need to wearing good walking shoes. There is so much more than I was able to photograph - a fairy village, a Japanese peace garden, a wonderful children's adventure park with tree houses and trails to follow, a lovely art gallery, lakeside walks, quiet areas, places to picnic, it goes on for miles and miles - and always a beautiful view or something interesting to look at.

Fortunately it is well supplied with seats/benches. Dogs are allowed if kept on leads, and they have mobility buggies and wheelchairs available if needed. Plenty of parking as well.

Sounds smashing Tabs.

Pity is it so far from me, I'd love to see it.
I never dreamed it was such a huge place.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top