Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Freeview

Our main tv in the sitting room is on Sky, the other tv's scattered around the house have Freeview only. The thing is we are not getting all the programmes on Freeview, we cant get any of the ITV programmes, only the BBC ones. Will we need to have a Freeview aerial put up and have the tv's wired upto them?

Any advice welcomed on the subject.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 09:11 PM

Re: Freeview

Yes you will need a digital aerial put up we got one a few months ago. Shop around because prices vary quite a lot. Try a small local firm they seem the cheapest we paid £45 but the same man charged the daughter £56 I think it depends on how easy it is to fix ours was just put along side the one already on the chimney.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
Yes you will need a digital aerial put up we got one a few months ago. Shop around because prices vary quite a lot. Try a small local firm they seem the cheapest we paid £45 but the same man charged the daughter £56 I think it depends on how easy it is to fix ours was just put along side the one already on the chimney.
Thanks for that Gabi, we will look into it. Did you then have to have aerial sockets wired in so you could plug the tv's into the sockets?

Welcome to the Forum by the way.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 10:42 PM

Its total plop! There is absolutely no need to have a digital ariel.. Our freeview runs on one in the attic thats 40 yr old. My other half builds radios and ariels and is a total radio ham geek and knows about tv things. Its a money making scam which works on people who dont have any knowledge.
There is no such thing as a 'digital' antenna.
Antenna design is about wavelength, polarisation, and a host of other things. A digital transmission is not part of the equation.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-01-2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Its total plop! There is absolutely no need to have a digital ariel.. Our freeview runs on one in the attic thats 40 yr old. My other half builds radios and ariels and is a total radio ham geek and knows about tv things. Its a money making scam which works on people who dont have any knowledge.
There is no such thing as a 'digital' antenna.
Antenna design is about wavelength, polarisation, and a host of other things. A digital transmission is not part of the equation.
Totally with you on this one Cassie.
We had a so called High Gain Digital aerial fitted a long time ago with a Freeview STB because we are/were in a poor reception area.
The aerial performed no better than the old one.
We have cable now and keep the 'superior' aerial connected in case the cable goes down but our spare tv still runs very well on a cheap, crappy old focus aerial.

Ali, I would look into the tuning of the TV's or what splitter layout you have as it strikes me a little odd that you can get only one station on all of them.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 12:22 AM

Have you tried re-tuning your televisions ?
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 12:41 AM

When I first had Freeview many years ago it wouldn't work on the aerial I had at the time so I got a new one fitted and then it was fine.

I got a new aerial a couple of months ago and it was half the price of the one I had in my previous house about 5 years ago, so would recommend getting more than one quote.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
When I first had Freeview many years ago it wouldn't work on the aerial I had at the time so I got a new one fitted and then it was fine.

I got a new aerial a couple of months ago and it was half the price of the one I had in my previous house about 5 years ago, so would recommend getting more than one quote.
Its not that the old one didnt work though its that it wasnt positioned and tuned correctly! There is absolutely no such thing as a digital ariel.. ours like I said is 40yrs old and we have a perfect freeview pic and stacks of stations. The only thing that can occur is deterioration in the wires that connect it so all you need is to replace the cables but please believe me its a marketing ploy and always has been because they make stacks of money from people who believe they need one. I can get my OH to give you the full techy reason and explanation if it'd help you but you really dont need a digi ariel
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the explanation Cassie, so it would appear I was "had" as the guys told me that I had to upgrade my aerial in order to get Freeview to work. It cost me £100 and that was about 5 years ago!
Alicat
West Berkshire

05-01-2012, 01:46 AM

Thank you for all of your replies, they've all been very helpful. I will let my husband have a read of them all and then he can decide what to do. Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top