Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 12:13 PM

Latin

When I was a kid, the doctors still used to write in Latin.

Why?

And when did it cease?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Re: Latin

When I was a kid I had to spend three years learning Latin. As it happened it was the only language I was any good at (12th compared to 30th or bottom in French and German).

The main feature of Latin was the brilliant book we had to read - 'The Illiad', so exciting that you had to learn the damn language to find out what happened next.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 12:44 PM

But when did the docs stop having to use it Bruce?
Did the Oz docs write it too?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 01:18 PM

They are a strange lot Doctors. I didn't know they stopped writing in Latin Mups, still looks alien to me 'cos I can never figure out a word of what they write. Maybe they are like Surgeons who wear masks during operations, then when they make a blunder nobody knows who's fault it was.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 01:56 PM

amo
amam
amas
amamus
amatis.
amant.............if I remember correctly.
What a waste of time that was when I could have been learning Physics.
Sorry Mups, I digressed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
But when did the docs stop having to use it Bruce?
Did the Oz docs write it too?
Absolutely no idea at all.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 02:03 PM

Why?

And when did it cease?
It was a power thing. Same as priests using Latin, knowing the congregation were too ignorant to understand it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 02:06 PM

Why?

And when did it cease?
It hasn't ceased, Mups. Docs still write abbreviations for Latin instructions on scripts but these are printed in English by the pharmacist on the tablet boxes.

As for why they use it, heaven knows! Maybe it is supposed to add to the mystery of medicine...
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
When I was a kid I had to spend three years learning Latin. As it happened it was the only language I was any good at (12th compared to 30th or bottom in French and German).

The main feature of Latin was the brilliant book we had to read - 'The Illiad', so exciting that you had to learn the damn language to find out what happened next.
Sorry Bruce, but the Iliad was written in Greek. Perhaps you were taught to read the Aeneid which was certainly written Latin by Vergil.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
amo
amam
amas
amamus
amatis.
amant.............if I remember correctly.
What a waste of time that was when I could have been learning Physics.
Sorry Mups, I digressed.
amo
amas
amat
amamus
amatis:
amant

....almost there Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top