Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Johnnyg
New Member!
Midlands
Johnnyg is male 

19-04-2015, 08:00 PM

In a crisis and trying to enjoy life

Hello folks.

My wife and and I are both in our 50's. I am am 52 and she is 56. Yes, she married a 'toy boy' This past year has thrown us some tough challenges. She has been off work due to illness since last September. though not life threatening, it is debilitating. I was made redundant from a good job last Deecember and have yet to be successful in gaining re-employment, but still trying hard. There is just the two of us, no children and for obvious financial reasons, we have sold our house. We have had some hard knocks before in our 27 years of marriage but we are still together and we have decided that we would like to relocate to near the coast, a place that we have visited many times and is dear to our hearts. We are not in a position to buy a property as the equity from the sale of our house isn't anywhere near adequate for that. We have decided to rent a house and based on what we will have and being careful, we could afford to do that for up to two years.

I am hopeful of course that in that time, I will be able to get work. Naturally, if I don't then in two years time we will be in quite a pickle.

As you can imagine we are filled with mixed emotions. Part of us are tired of fighting the knocks we have had and thinking live for today, do our best and worry about what would happen nearer the time. We have both worked all our lives, we are not ready to hang our boots up yet and a little too young to get much of the pension pots. We hope that it could be a new start and it will help my wife recover from her illness. Change is by its very nature daunting and some people might think we are mad. I want us to be happy together but worry about the future and feel a little embarrassed/ashamed that at our time of life we won't own a property and unlikely to.

I have few people to talk to, but would welcome your points of view. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 09:11 PM

Re: In a crisis and trying to enjoy life

Hello Johnny and welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear about your bad luck ... but your plans to relocate sound a good idea and what have you got to lose ? ... just go for it and enjoy the adventure

Lots of people do not own their own homes and there is no shame in that.

I do hope your luck changes very soon and that your wife's health improves once you have a change of scenery
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 09:16 PM

Hello Johnny and a very warm welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear you are having a few troubles and I hope you can find suitably work soon to get you back into some sort of security. You are both young and that’s to your advantage. I do hope your Lady gets better soon and I wish you both the very best of luck.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Hello Johnny and welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear about your bad luck ... but your plans to relocate sound a good idea and what have you got to lose ? ... just go for it and enjoy the adventure

Lots of people do not own their own homes and there is no shame in that.

I do hope your luck changes very soon and that your wife's health improves once you have a change of scenery

I agree Myrtle.

Go for it. Enjoy life. If you can't get a job then eventually you will get benefits to help pay the rent.

I no longer own a house and it doesn't bother me. What difference does it really make at the end of the day? It doesn't change the person you are . Don't be ashamed!

You and your wife just enjoy life Johnny. Hope its a happy one
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 09:22 PM

Welcome Johnny - no need to feel shame for being the victim of misfortune.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 09:43 PM

Welcome Johnny and your wife ,have you looked for jobs in the area you are wanting to move to ? I've just had a day at the East coast (lincolnshire). taking in the little villages for property for sale,as we are thinking of moving,we have not yet decided where or whether to rent or buy ..But I did see some property,
And I've looked on Rightmove,thats a good site for both rented and buying so I can recommend you look on there ..
As regards the run of bad luck ,don't let it get you or your wife down,
I pray your wife's health improves and you will find a job. Good luck
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 09:55 PM

Hi Johnny Welcome to the forum

I'm sorry to hear of your bad luck... I would do as the other's say, if you believe in yourself and think positive you can do it! look at all the options on-line of where you want to live, find the Jobcentre and Agency sites for work also look at Doctors and Hospitals for your wife and see if she could claim some type of benefit? Phone the Council about housing and also the local information centre... gather as much information as you can... And good luck to you both
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 10:15 PM

Hallo there...I can identify with your postition, in our case its my husband who is ill and can never return to his profession.

His doctor said you can work or live but not both.. Doctors disagree about a lot but one thing they all agree on is that if you are happy and relaxed your health will improve ..
If this change is what your wife and you want then go for it..

I wish you the very best luck.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 10:36 PM

Hi Johnny. Welcome to our forum. I hope things work out for you but I'm wondering how you will find work if you move to the coast. Coastal areas don't seem to have much industry and a lot of the jobs are seasonal. Of course, maybe you were in a job/profession that doesn't rely on location...

I wish you the very best of luck.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 07:56 AM

Hello Johnny. As others have said, sorry to hear about your misfortunes and the missus's poor health.

I hope that whatever you decide to do brings good luck and better health.

Some very good suggestions and ideas here. Best wishes, Janet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top