Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 10:38 PM

Imported Tyres

Something I read in my gardening magazine last week:

"Mosquitos could deliver more than itchy bites in the UK in future. Scientists say that within 15 years they could transmit diseases such as West Nile Virus - because mosquitos are laying eggs in rubber car tyres that are being imported from the Far East."

Little blighters. I react bad enough to them already.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 11:05 PM

Re: Imported Tyres

Ewwww nasty
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 06:25 AM

Yes nasty bitey little things zooming round the room at night..
I hate them too..
I have noticed that were you only used to see them in mid summer they now seem to be around almost all through the year.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 06:57 AM

Horrible things, I react badly to them anyway don't need added risks.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 09:39 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mosquito, I had to look it up to see had we actually got any over here, always thought it was too cold for the little buggers, it seems we have some but there are not enough of them to carry diseases.

"Do Irish mosquitoes carry disease?
Irish mosquitoes have not been demonstrated to carry any human infections. The reasons for this are:
1 There are not enough mosquitoes in Ireland to carry infected blood.*You need large numbers of mosquitoes to be sure that you can sustain spread of infection.
2 It is our weather, which in winter kills off mosquitoes, that protects us.*At the beginning of each summer, the mosquito numbers are very small and will not grow quickly enough over the summer to produce the large numbers needed to sustain infection.
3 In addition, there are not enough people or animals whose blood is infected.*You need large numbers of infected animals or birds or people to ensure that mosquitoes, when they feed, are becoming infected and carrying the virus to infect others"

There's only 5 million of us so if they do happen to come in in tyres they won't last very long according to that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top