Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Indy
New Member!
US
Indy is male 

20-07-2019, 12:49 AM

Re: Where were you..?

I was 13 for the moon landing. I watched it on the TV with the rest of my family.

When JFK was assassinated, I was in my class at Elementary School.

Not sure about were I was with Elvis.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 03:12 AM

Re: Where were you..?

JFK Assassination: I have a snapshot memory of my mother putting me in front of the TV when JFK's funeral was televised. I was almost three.

Apollo 11: Came in from riding bikes to watch it on black and white TV. We attended the sam church as the Collins' at the time. It was summer and we ate orange sherbet with vanilla ice cream while watching.

Robert Kennedy Assassination: We were in Los Angeles, about 15 minutes from the scene having dinner. I can remember all the sirens.

Last Flight out of Saigon: I remember being with my dad, who had flown two tours in Vietnam, and weeping while he talked about how sick to his stomach he was for the South Vietnamese who were left behind.

Challenger Disaster: I was teaching at the time and everyone was televising it their classrooms. I still remember having an ominous feeling about the launch before it blew up. I was teaching older kids so we left it on and talked about it. It was tragic, but I felt like it was important for them to take in such a historic moment.

Twin Towers Disaster - 9/11. Captain Surfermom was flying a commercial airline at the time, and I was at our kids' preschool volunteering.The news was passed in hushed tones among the adults. I went outside to listen to the news in the car, and saw all over the sky that planes near the airport were flying in wide circles, being denied to land until as much could be sorted out as possible. It was eerie to see the sky filled with giant When the phone finally rang, I remember being terribly relieved - and also bitterly angry for what the people in those buildings were enduring. The next day, we booked two separate airline flights for the entire family. There was no way we were going to let them win.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top