Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2020, 10:49 AM

Re: Earth worms question

Originally Posted by Westender ->
Worms a plenty would wriggle to the surface and were gathered for bait. I've no idea why this worked, perhaps the liquid irritated them in some way, who knows?
For some reason earthworms also seem to come the surface after rain. The same works with a hosepipe gently sprinkling the lawn with water. Worms make their way to the surface, ready to be collected for bait. No need for detergent and washing that off either.
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2020, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
For some reason earthworms also seem to come the surface after rain. The same works with a hosepipe gently sprinkling the lawn with water. Worms make their way to the surface, ready to be collected for bait. No need for detergent and washing that off either.
Ah! So in short a total waste of my mum's Fairy Liquid.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
That's why you see Gulls paddling on the grass, they look very comical doing it. Their feet hitting the grass makes worms think it's raining, the worms come to the surface & the Gulls eat the worms. Clever birds to know this.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Westender ->
Ah! So in short a total waste of my mum's Fairy Liquid.
Well not quite, the lawn was left nice and clean!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Watch which way it moves across the ground, or your hand if you picked it up.
My daughter then aged 18 months ate one once, I made her spit it out on my hand, not knowing what she was eating. Yuck!
Why on earth do young kids want to eat earthworms?

I thought it was only Klingons who like to eat such things.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2020, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Why on earth do young kids want to eat earthworms?

I thought it was only Klingons who like to eat such things.
Young children like to experiment & they use their mouths to do it, just watch a baby, everything it grabs goes in it's mouth, unless a parent stops it.
I once, on a beach saw a toddler putting sand in it's mouth, the parents weren't watching, when they finally noticed, it was very funny.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2020, 03:14 PM

That's why you see Gulls paddling on the grass, they look very comical doing it. Their feet hitting the grass makes worms think it's raining, the worms come to the surface & the Gulls eat the worms. Clever birds to know this.
Watch blackbirds do it too, especially after a thunderstorm.

The head end of an earthworm is the purply-coloured end in front of the "saddle".
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

10-04-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Watch blackbirds do it too, especially after a thunderstorm.

The head end of an earthworm is the purply-coloured end in front of the "saddle".
I've never seen Blackbirds doing it. Wonder if they've been watching the Gulls.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2020, 04:59 PM

I've never seen Blackbirds doing it. Wonder if they've been watching the Gulls.
I'm surprised young kids don't do it.

They can then catch the worms and eat them!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

10-04-2020, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm surprised young kids don't do it.

They can then catch the worms and eat them!
Think my daughter dug hers up, she did have a toy spade.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top