Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 11:46 PM

Non essential shops

Is it just me, but is anyone really struggling to live quite happily given that so many shops are actually closed?

It seems that we could get on just fine without these stores ever re-opening. Although they do create employment, is it really beyond our imagination to find other more useful things for people to do to pass their time and get paid for doing it?

It you look at huge shopping centres (such as the Trafford Centre), these have been built using an enormous amount of resources, use a shed load of energy to heat and light them, and for what? Apart from the occasional food outlets, they contain nothing considered as "essential" and are IMHO temples of nothingness.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 01:23 AM

Re: Non essential shops

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
is anyone really struggling to live quite happily given that so many shops are actually closed?
Not so far but only existing.

When the supply chains fail and we are thrown
back on our own resources...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 01:24 AM

They will one day be derelict amany people shop on line anyway.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 08:10 AM

Hi

Non Essential?

Well when this is all over, the fishing tackle shops need to be the first to reopen.

I can social distance very well when fishing.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 08:17 AM

Never thought about that but you are right. I really haven't missed them.

I've noticed we are saving money too so just goes to show how much i spend on things that aren't really needed. Especially clothes. I have a wardrobe full of clothes yet i still go buying more.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 08:22 AM

Maybe when all this is over it will herald the start of new ways of living? The high street is on the way out, it is over-priced due to high rents and business rates, buying online is far less expensive. Companies with these big, flashy offices are also being hammered with high rents and business rates. With employees working from home, taking advantage of technology maybe they will now find those offices will slowly no longer be required. Working from home may be a new way of working life for their employees?

Out of town retail parks in this part of the country are far better to shop at I reckon. No extortionate parking fees, in fact it's totally free, there are the same shops as in the large shopping centres but probably paying less in rents and business rates as they are out of town.

Maybe individual 'shops' such as farm shops and those businesses that deliver fresh fruit and vegetables, an online service basically, are the future. The milkman, using an electric vehicle and supplying milk in recycleable bottles, may make a comeback, they used to and still do in some places, deliver other food items too. Maybe there will also be a return to smaller shops, like those we used to have in preference to these enormous supermarkets? One here has 54 checkouts, some of those are going over to self-checkouts too, that gives a very good idea of what is happening.

Time will tell on all the above, but things are changing, there is no doubt about that. Whether or not this trend will continue is something for the future.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 08:39 AM

I miss the Health Stores, I use several of their pills n potions. I can get some at the Supermarket but not the strength I want, and I don't like stuff being combined with another type of pill. I also hate the garage's being closed.

What I hate most of all is the pool being closed and missing my daily swim, it's starting to tell on my body as well, the legs are a lot stiffer than they were AND my jeans are getting tighter.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	91793307_10212472617449653_4841051131893252096_o.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	12196  
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 08:55 AM

Hi

We spend a lot of money on rubbish we do not need which is imported.

Hugely priced Mobiles for example.

I have no need of a vastly overpriced iPhone or iPad.

I have a perfectly adequate 47 inch TV which is great, full HD, I do not need 4K.

I have no need for a hugely expensive imported fuel guzzling SUV.

I have an ex works Ford automatic diesel which has 75k on the clock big enough for my fishing tackle and with a speed limit of 70 mph can do 130mph.

Very useful for safely overtaking.

I grow my own veg, no need for expensive deliveries .

I get my clothes from Charity shops, many brand new.

I buy my furniture second hand, at a huge saving.

The local Severn Hospice Shop has some amazing bargains.

I am not a keeping up with the Jones sort of person.

I spend my money on things I enjoy.

My coffee and travel.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 09:12 AM

I gave up going shopping with the exception of food and gardening 3 years ago due to health problems.

What few clothes I need I buy on the internet , something for best and the rest from eBay.
I don't miss shopping, hardware shops always held more excitement than clothes shops for me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 10:07 AM

I don't miss shops much either Meg.
I have never been a shopaholic, and mostly tend to only buy my necessities and things for the dogs.
There are rare exceptions though, like Christmas and birthdays perhaps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top