Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:11 PM

Organ Donation is changing

Not sure which topic to put this under, so please move if I have got it wrong.

Organ donation procedure is changing next month.

As from May 20th 2020, it will be considered we are all compliant with donating our organs after death.

Other than a few special groups, we will have to 'Opt Out' if we do not wish to go along with this.
I am not sure how I feel about this yet, I need to give it some thought.

See link below:

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/uk-...aw-in-england/

So how do the majority here feel about this, or have you no strong feelings either way?

To opt out - or not opt out?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:26 PM

Re: Organ Donation is changing

I honestly think it's the way to go. Having said that, if they can find any bits of me that still work, they are more than welcome to it/them.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:30 PM

No. Absolutely NOT. If some people want to donate bits then that should be up to them but my body is mine and I find the whole "presumed consent" thing nothing less than state theft.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:49 PM

My dad told me he wants to opt out so i filled out the form for him on the net. He said he want to go in with mum as a whole man. His choice so he gets his wish.

Im thinking i want to opt out too. I don't think i like the thought of me or hubby being cut open.

No one should be made to feel guilty in their choice.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:55 PM

Doubt they'd want mine, specially at my age. I do carry a donor card though, have done since I was a teen. I am being cremated anyway, they can take what they want before that. They never asked for any of my late OH's organs, because he had a lot of health problems I guess & he was mid 70's.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:58 PM

I'm already a registered donor so, in principle, I'm in favour of extending organ availability.

However, this forthcoming change in the law does seem to have been obscured by the overwhelming coverage of the prevailing pandemic - an awareness campaign needs to be mounted in order that everyone can register their choice.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:59 PM

Mine too I don’t know that they will last me out!
Like Tiff I have always carried a donor card.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 05:32 PM

Already opted out and have a letter of acknowledgment
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 05:39 PM

I have arranged for my mortal remains to be donated to medical research/science - which means I may not be an organ donor.

Had I not already done that - I would opt out on principal as I echo Artful's thoughts on 'presumed consent' - how dare 'they' - it is disgusting.

Perhaps I should add - I would not accept an organ donation either.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 05:46 PM

My son my beautiful son was killed in an accident in the prime of his life .
For some reason that I shall never know his organs were not donated . I know he was altruistic and would have wanted this .
But I was overseas and besides he was married his wife was totally distraught and in capable of anything . I would have liked to think that part of him was living on giving someone else a chance but that did not happen .IMO In times of extreme distress and grief like this it would be better if everyone opted in .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top