Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 01:34 PM

well known auction site

Why do people advertise a used product more expensive than new?

Just looked at camera lenses list and one person is advertising a lens starting bid at £800 yet brand new it can be bought for £746 with free postage. No wonder they have had no bids

Don't they check first???
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 01:52 PM

Re: well known auction site

it's crazy....trying their luck
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 01:57 PM

What is equally confusing is that, occasionally, bidding ends up with paying more than the cost of a new item. It's as though winning takes precedence over the main objective of getting something for a bargain.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Why do people advertise a used product more expensive than new?

Just looked at camera lenses list and one person is advertising a lens starting bid at £800 yet brand new it can be bought for £746 with free postage. No wonder they have had no bids

Don't they check first???
Simple answer, humans are idiots are other humans will take advantage of that.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 09:05 PM

I sometimes buy & sell lenses. You can make beer money if you've got the time and the inclination to check what's for sale on various local sites. I sell on Gumtree or to a west end dealer. People sometimes don't know the true value of what they've got.

Here's an example of used prices on mpb

panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 ... £544
panasonic 35-100mm f4-5.6 ... £164

It might take a keen eye to spot the difference between the two.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I sometimes buy & sell lenses. You can make beer money if you've got the time and the inclination to check what's for sale on various local sites. I sell on Gumtree or to a west end dealer. People sometimes don't know the true value of what they've got.

Here's an example of used prices on mpb

panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 ... £544
panasonic 35-100mm f4-5.6 ... £164

It might take a keen eye to spot the difference between the two.
F2.8 is better because it lets more light through meaning you get a brighter image but it also means the depth of field is different. The lower the number the more focus there is on what you are focusing on, the rest is just blurred out, but the higher the number, the less light gets through and more of what's is in the view finder becomes focused. Hence the price difference

I've got a number of Canon and Nikon DSLR's but haven't used them yet (not found the time to due to having a full time job) but i will do some day
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
F2.8 is better because it lets more light through meaning you get a brighter image but it also means the depth of field is different. The lower the number the more focus there is on what you are focusing on, the rest is just blurred out, but the higher the number, the less light gets through and more of what's is in the view finder becomes focused. Hence the price difference
Yes of course. But some people, when selling, just look at the main numbers, the focal length, and not the all-important f/ numbers. It's generally the difference between 'consumer' and 'pro' grade.

I've got a number of Canon and Nikon DSLR's but haven't used them yet (not found the time to due to having a full time job) but i will do some day
An excellent hobby for retirees.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top