Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 03:52 PM

Is it cruel to train and use guide dogs

Asking for a friend.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 04:02 PM

Re: Is it cruel to train and use guide dogs

Originally Posted by xirrpy ->
Asking for a friend.

My friend has a dog that is being trained to be a guide dog for the blind, ,she has it for the first year, then I’m not sure what happens,I believe it then goes on for intense training,...not sure though, as it may have not made the mark....many fail I believe...now sure how it would be cruel,
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by xirrpy ->
Asking for a friend.
Is your friend a Labrador?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 05:08 PM

I have never seen an unhappy looking guide dog - most of them seem to be very proud of the work they do.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have never seen an unhappy looking guide dog - most of them seem to be very proud of the work they do.
Id have a nervous breakdown
xirrpy
Devon-all of it

09-01-2021, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You spying on me ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 06:50 PM

Dogs love to please and receive praise it is the pinnacle of existence for many.

As long as dogs are trained using positive reinforcement methods PR (and never punishment, teach required behaviour and reward) training is not cruel and I understand guide Dogs are trained using PR methods these days.
'Using' a Guide Dog is not cruel , a dog with a purpose and treated with kindness and understanding should be a happy and fulfilled dog unlike those dogs who spend a lot of time alone with their minds under used.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it

09-01-2021, 06:59 PM

I hate driving. I was just wondering how doggo feels about the lunatic drivers.
The weight of responsibilty must have an effect.
I look at my own pup. sprawled by the fire. She has a total carefree charmed life. Doesnt know wht traffic is, doesnt take orders, eats only the choicest things - though the fox poo has me perplexed. She does what she wants.
Quite right too
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 07:38 PM

I once applied to Guide Dogs For The Blind Association to get a dog that had been rejected during its training.

Many months passed and I heard nothing. Then one day l received a phone call to ask if l would like a Golden Retriever who had been rejected as it didn’t like wearing the harness it needed to wear whilst guiding its owner.

Unfortunately, l had to refuse as the offer came when my marriage was starting to break down and l felt it was unfair to take a dog on at that time.

I always remember, they were trained to go to the toilet once a day, at a certain time in their owner’s garden.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top