Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 06:39 PM

Re: Selfish or caring?

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My daughter told me many years ago that I shouldn't need a man in my life as I had friends , she would be offish towards me if I was dating , and not want to know , over the years I had a few nice guys and enjoyed times out with them , never anyone serious enough to want them to move in . We had a huge row once about a guy I was seeing and she didn't speak to me for a while saying I was "man mad" !

I enjoy the company of a nice man , I'm independent and fun to be with , yet daughter seems not to understand me wanting a permanent love in my life .

I've no idea why , you'd think she would want me to be happy , but possibly she's seen the mistakes I've made in the past

Ps , I'm quite happy in my life even though no one else is around , but I still have hope
Sit down - glass of wine and talk it through with her x
uncle salty
eastern united states
uncle salty is male  uncle salty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 07:19 PM

She just lost her mother.

Could be she's scared she might lose her dad to this 'new woman'.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, we don't have all the facts.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 08:38 PM

I think one has to be blunt about this. It is up to the individuals involved, it’s hard to say how we would handle something like this unless we were involved ourselves, but we must not be selfish and give our kids every consideration, after all they will be here long after we’ve gone. All I know is that if I was 10 years younger and God forbid my wife died and I was considering taking up with another woman my daughter would not be very happy about it, neither would my son, I understand that because I’d put meself in their shoes and think about how I would feel if my own father was doing the same, i would not like it one bit, a strange woman taking over the running of the family house, having access to all the personal family stuff, and perhaps we should have to call her mother to keep our dad happy. I’ve seen this happen many times and it always causes trouble, never really works out.
Having said that another woman would be the very last thing on my mind, God knows one is enough for any man to handle in a lifetime. of course there are men who can’t live without a woman in their lives, good luck to them they’ll be needing it. I never get lonely even when the wife is away, I like me own company and never fall out with meself, I’ve done all I wanted to do on this earth and now all I need is peace and quiet, you won’t get that hitching up with another woman, the kids falling out with you, and spending the rest of your days finding out what annoys you most about her and her about you.
Deborah2307
Weymouth Dorset
Deborah2307 is female  Deborah2307 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:02 PM

I was widowed in March this year, my husband was not my childrens father but a great step-father and granddad. I am 57 and all 3 of my kids have said that if I meet someone else and I am ready to move forward they would be pleased for me. They understand that for most humans being on their own is not the 'norm' and they want me to be happy
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:02 PM

Can only say when my dad died my mum was only 49 and I would have loved for her to find someone else to care for her, we're all different and maybe the girl in TessA's post is selfish or maybe just insecure and needs her dad herself, still.

Or it could be the inheritance thing mentioned by May..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
How can anyone say that when they are not in possession of the full facts.
We never will be, but if it was someone you knew how do you think he should deal with it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
We never will be, but if it was someone you knew how do you think he should deal with it?
Tessa
A chap, a widower said his daughter would hate him to find someone to else.
Firstly I would ask him why he thought that and I would suggest he talk things through with the daughter.

Other than that it is difficult to make suggestions without knowing the circumstances.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 09:12 AM

Mum died , she was 70 , a year later dad met a lady , they each stayed in each others homes , we were happy for him . They had 7 years together till dad died. We welcomed her into our life's . She lives alone now and still wears his shoes to do the gardening .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah2307 ->
I was widowed in March this year, my husband was not my childrens father but a great step-father and granddad. I am 57 and all 3 of my kids have said that if I meet someone else and I am ready to move forward they would be pleased for me. They understand that for most humans being on their own is not the 'norm' and they want me to be happy
I just wanted to say that your kids sound very understanding and caring. You should be very proud of them
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 10:37 PM

Some men are so needy .
They don't seem to be able to cope on their own .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top